• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rotpunkt

farm41

5 Year Member
The lfs had a pair spawn and they have fry in their tank. I've been doing a little research on this fish and read they are okay in harder more alkaline water. Mine is Ph 6.8, Gh 10, Kh 6, sounds like they may fit my water well. I have a tank with onyx sand that is even higher, Ph 7, Gh 13, Kh 8.

Is that too high?

Has anyone had experience with this fish?

The fry are about 3/8 - 1/2". If they do work with my water, are they big enough to pick up?

aspen

5 Year Member
i think i can help you with the size issue. i have had rams that when they were just barely fish-looking, about the size you are talking about and they were just about as hardy as a normal fish. also, i got 60 discus from a friend, and they travelled 7 hours (really well packed), and they were all fine (pea sized- 22 days down to 14 days old). so, yes, you could get fish that small and have success, but only IF they are in a healthy state to start with. have they been well fed and cared for, or were they just left to their own to scrounge what the adults left behind? a good fry has been well cared for. you should be able to tell by looking at them. nice active, hunting for food, and diving at it when the food goes in at that age.

rick

aspen

5 Year Member
i would say the bare 10. i have raised enough small fish now, that i know that cleanliness is THE most important issue. if you want, provide a couple of clean pots and plastic plants for cover. also, if you can get the right price, buy as many as you can. i would not pay more than 2 or 3 bucks maximum each at that size. imo, buy at least 10, to ensure a few good adults. anything can happen as they grow up from such a small age. get them bagged in as much of the existing tank water as he can spare, and hopefully you can acclimate them in exactly the same water as he has them in when you get them home. careful acclimation will be the first key. better yet, take the bucket you will be acclimating them in, (inside a cooler)- you will save one transfer.

let us know how it goes.

good luck, rick

Neil

farm41,
I have found Rotpunct or A. sp."Red Point" to be about the easiest apisto to work with. They handle just about any conditions and if you feed them well and keep their water clean, you will not be able to keep them from breeding. After all, they did in your LFS. They can be very attractive and kind of aggressive. I have seen them around much for awhile. They are a great fish to work with for someone who is getting frustrated with the tougher apistos.
Aspens suggestions are all very appropriate, but if they are truely almost 1/2 inch, then they should be over any real delicacy. Heck, I would be suprised if they are bredding in a month or two.
Neil

farm41

5 Year Member
I have a 10g going with guppy fry in it. Should I put them together or start up another 10g? I have 2 more empty and ready to start up. The tank the guppy fry are in is cycled and is about half full of java moss, and has quite a few MTS's in it. Or I could put the guppies in the fresh tank and put the Rotpunkt in the cycled tank.

What's the best way to go?

farm41

5 Year Member
I was all prepared to bring them home tonite, we made the deal at $3 per fish, but he said they are not ready to go yet. A couple more weeks, so I put 12 on hold. I did bring home some nice panda cory's though. :roll:

aspen

5 Year Member
you must have room for another 10 g. with 12 fish, hopefully it won't be long before they out-grow the tank. if cycled media is a problem, hopefully it won't be when you get them. a sponge filter is best, for fosh that small, but i have had some success with ac mini's, with a ring of sponge in the intake to slow the flow to a trickle. i always have enough extra media around to get another ac going.

panda cory's huh. it is tough to walk out of a fish store without new fish isn't it.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
There have been a few times I've walked out with nothing, not very often, and not by choice.

I always have an extra sponge filter going in a cycled tank to start up the QT's with and I do have 1 more empty 10g. When they out grow the 10, the 38g is ready for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….