• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RO unit for water with chloramines

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Hi all,

I'm in the market for an RO unit, and my tap water is very soft, but contains chloramines and NaOH. According the literature, most carbon blocks do not efficiently remove chloramine, and the vendors recommend a 5 or 6 stage RO/DI to effectively remove chloramine. My question: Is it worth adding the two additional stages to remove chloramine, or should I just get a 3-stage RO and add Prime to the output?

Thanks

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
One thing I'm reading is that, unless removed first, chloramines will degrade the RO membrane. The proposed mechanism is that, at high pH, the chloramine dissociates into ammonium and hypochlorite ions, and it's the ammonium ions that deteriorate the membrane. Has anyone experienced this?

MacZ

Hi all,

I'm in the market for an RO unit, and my tap water is very soft, but contains chloramines and NaOH. According the literature, most carbon blocks do not efficiently remove chloramine, and the vendors recommend a 5 or 6 stage RO/DI to effectively remove chloramine. My question: Is it worth adding the two additional stages to remove chloramine, or should I just get a 3-stage RO and add Prime to the output?

Thanks
I live in a country where chlorine and chloramine are removed at the water plant before sending the drinking water into the public system, so I don't have any in my tap, but I have helped dozens of people now getting their units set up in countries where the stuff is in the water system, all with a 3 stage (carbon, sediment, membrane) units have reported trouble free removal and tested no chloramine nor chlorine in the permeate.

One thing I'm reading is that, unless removed first, chloramines will degrade the RO membrane. The proposed mechanism is that, at high pH, the chloramine dissociates into ammonium and hypochlorite ions, and it's the ammonium ions that deteriorate the membrane. Has anyone experienced this?
As far as I know any ions with a higher reactivity (or very high concentration) have deteriorating influence on the membrane and it is not like the membrane is going to be worn out very quickly. But it raises waste water amounts significantly and reduces the lifetime of the membrane by some months.

MacZ

Ok. Thanks for the additional material. I can link people to this in the future. For myself it doesn't change anything, luckily.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My tap water contains chloramines and Na(OH) too. I just add a dechlorinator to the R/O water as I add it to the tank (directly into the tank actually). I've been doing this for years without problems.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….