• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ro system

Don cheech

Hi so I am cosidering getting an ro system for some A. Borelli or Cactuides but am new to this, I was wondering how do you get the temperature of the water to match your aquarium water shouldn’t you always do that ?

Aquaticloch

If your TDS is lower than 200ppm you should be able to breed, and keep domesticated fish like cacatuodies, borelli, macmasteri. If you have harder water, or you are purchasing near wild fish they still do not need full RO whatsoever, so i'd reccomend checking water parameters before doing so.

I personally like to use rainwater in place of RO, (safley collected) and dilute it down with some tap water which is heated and comes out of my taps already at a TDS of ~25ppm which works quite well for my fish. You can also boil RO water, which I would assume would work, as long as it is slowly added to a heat-resistant container to mix with the rest of the unheated RO.

MacZ

It takes a while to make RO, so by the time you’re ready, it will be at room temp.
I have a botteling day every 2-3 weeks when I let the RO unit run all day to produce the water for the next weeks, it never really reaches room temp. Always 3-4°C beneath. So I think it's always a good idea to check once everything is ready for a waterchange.

anewbie

I have a 30 rubber-maid gallon pail i setup next to my aquariums the night before; i put a heater in it so by the next day when i do water change the temp is around the same as the aquarium. If you have a single small aquarium - then you could use a 5 gallon pail - same bit.

Don cheech

I have a 30 rubber-maid gallon pail i setup next to my aquariums the night before; i put a heater in it so by the next day when i do water change the temp is around the same as the aquarium. If you have a single small aquarium - then you could use a 5 gallon pail - same bit.
Am I understanding you have a 30 gallon Rubbermaid container or 30 gallon aquarium and what kind of water are you using?

anewbie

I use a 30 gallon brute rubbermaid pail that i fill the night before water changes with the type of water that is appropriate for the aquariums i am doing water changes the next day. Don't over think this....

Don cheech

I use a 30 gallon brute rubbermaid pail that i fill the night before water changes with the type of water that is appropriate for the aquariums i am doing water changes the next day. Don't over think this....
If my only water source is tap would it still be beneficial to do that, sorry for these questions but l am a beginner

anewbie

If my only water source is tap would it still be beneficial to do that, sorry for these questions but l am a beginner
This started when you asked about temp; i told you how i make sure the temp is correct; i fill a pail the night before and put a heater in it and heat it to the same temp as the aquarium. If i use cold water during the winter the temp in the tank will drop from 76 to 65 in a few minutes.... which would make my fishes rather unhappy with me.

TerraFerma

RO water goes into the bucket with enough Brightwell remineralization powder to get TDS to 125-175. Into that I stick a 100 watt Bulk Reef Supply titanium heater and in about 30 minutes you have some pleasantly warm water to stick back in the tank.

Epos7

I collect my RO water in a 5 gallon bucket. I either let it come up to room temperature if I'm not using it that day, or put a heater in it to bring it up to temp quickly. It comes out of the filter much colder during winter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….