• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rio Atabapo

65D68574-C33F-43BB-9531-6ECA31CD87EB.jpeg
Here’s the tank btw, it’s a 20 gallon long.The pH is 5.5

MacZ

but I’m not sure if them or the dicrossus would be more interesting. What do you guys think?
*looks at his own tank*
*looks at his own avatar*

I think you might be able to guess my answer. :D

Just a question, because I think it's due to the lighting in the picture: There's only biofilm on the twigs, not cyanobacteria, yes?

They do just fine with my tap water.
You emphasise that in the few posts you've written until now - Care to share your water parameters? Because it's always a difference if one's talking about simple holding conditions or biotope/breeding tank conditions.
The term biotope is often used here on the board to denote making the effort of recrearing softwater habitat conditions.

The pH is about 5.5, and I believe it’s just algae and biofilm. I’ve never really dealt with cyanobacteria or any kind of algae so I’m not completely sure.

MacZ

The pH is about 5.5, and I believe it’s just algae and biofilm. I’ve never really dealt with cyanobacteria or any kind of algae so I’m not completely sure.
The question about the water parameters was for @fanning88 , not directed at you.

Ok, so it's just biofilm in a greenish light. Just wanted to make sure.

Aquaticloch

Yeah, unfortunately thats cyanobacteria. I've just finished a fight with it lasting a while. It's stubbornly resilient and shockingly fast-growing.

Bramgroet

If you don’t have plants in the tank you can put the light out for a long time I don’t now how long. Someone else will probably know how long.

MacZ

There is no general course of action. Blackouts and more competition from plants have helped me. But I had a fraction of the amounts you have there.

Ok, first things first:
Full water parameters? (GH, KH, NH3, pH)
Composition of your sourcewater?
Maintenance schedule?
Light schedule?
Position in the room relative to the window?

Last edited:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Yeah, unfortunately thats cyanobacteria.
I don't think it is cyanobacteria (in fact I'm pretty sure it isn't), it is the wrong colour but both colour and filaments look much more like a <"Green Algae (Chlorobionta)">.

It is only really green algae that are "grass green", because only they, and all the higher plants, possess chlorophylls a and b.

blue-green-algae-3-768x507.jpg

Basically it would be a darker blue green and a lot more slimy if it was cyanobacteria. Image from <"https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/16-4-blue-green-algae/">

You could also try <"sniffing a bit">.

cheers Darrel

anewbie

Hi all,

I don't think it is cyanobacteria (in fact I'm pretty sure it isn't), it is the wrong colour but both colour and filaments look much more like a <"Green Algae (Chlorobionta)">.

It is only really green algae that are "grass green", because only they, and all the higher plants, possess chlorophylls a and b.

Basically it would be a darker blue green and a lot more slimy if it was cyanobacteria. Image from <"https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/16-4-blue-green-algae/">

cheers Darrel
I basically agree - but it is a bad kind of green algae - no clue if it is bad health wise for fishes but it grows when things are way out of whack. This is of course a non-scientific observation that i get that sort of algae when i goof and something is dying - like when i cut all the roots off my frogbit and it goes south ;) removing the offending thing (as oppose to black outs) usually solves the issue. For cyano - i've had it form for different reasons - usually from nitrogen release of anarobic bacteria (I think) or something like that and a bit of current to blow the nitrogen away usually solves the problem. I had a tank with the stuff once (an old tank setup for over a year) and it was growing everywhere and quit deep - and then suddenly one day it stopped and a week later it was all gone. Mysteries are great but still concerning.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
but it is a bad kind of green algae
I don't know. I don't tend to get much green algae, all the bottoms of my tanks are dark and gloomy places with just <"Bolbitis heudelotii"> and moss and I always have a fairly complete <"layer of floating plants"> and snails etc.

If I have a brighter (more intense) light I just have more plants, so hopefully by the time it reaches substrate levels there are very few photons left.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

Hi all,

cheers Darrel
There is a tint of green in the pictures that makes me think it's both cyanos and green algae. Which would surprise me as I rarely see them both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….