• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rio Atabapo

Would a pair of L. Fulvipinnis be comfortable in a 20 gallon long? From my research they get around 3 inches. I want to do a rio atabapo biotope with a shoal of tetras and a pair or small group of dwarf cichlids, if the laetacara are not a good choice, what are my other cichlid options? And any tetra recommendations would be much appreciated!

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
If you want to go for Apistos these are your options: A. minima, A. lineata, A. sp. Blutkehl, A. sp. Snow-white and A. psammophila.

Mazan

I am not familiar with L. fulvipinnis, but if they are anything like L. araguaiae I think they could get too big for a 20 gallon tank. My male araguaiae are easily 10cm (4") and very chunky and deep bodied (bigger than anything I have found mentioned in the literature). I think Apistogrammas would probably be more appropriate.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
L. fulvipinnis, aka L. sp. Orangeflossen/Orange-fins, grows much larger than L. araguaiae - around 14 cm/5½" per Koslowski. I wouldn't keep one in anything less than a 30 gallon long (36x12x16h"/90x30x40cm), a 55 would be better. Also you need to decide what kind of aquarium that you want: a community or breeding tank. You can't have both unless you have a really large tank.

Gotcha, i think a community would be better because i don’t have any local fish stores that keep low pH fish. Are there any more common cichlids I could get? The apistos Frank listed earlier are rare and I can’t find any for sale here in the US. And do you guys know of any tetra species that are found in the atabapo?

Mazan

The obvious tetras would be neons or cardinals, there are also some pencilfish and a couple of hatchetfish. There are many more but I don't know how available they would be. This paper might be useful for you, if you go right to the end there is a list of fishes, those from the first column (At) occur in the Rio Atabapo. Apistogramma iniridae are listed and might be easier to find than those mentioned above? Also there are two Dicrossus species listed.

Attachments

• 49115088007.pdf
    474.8 KB · Views: 126
Ok so I think I’m gonna go with some dicrossus filamentosus and either cardinal tetras or pristella tetras. How many dicrossus could i get? And would I be able to have pencilfish and a shoal of tetras or am I limited to one?

Mazan

Ok so I think I’m gonna go with some dicrossus filamentosus and either cardinal tetras or pristella tetras. How many dicrossus could i get? And would I be able to have pencilfish and a shoal of tetras or am I limited to one?
That sounds lovely, I think it would be OK to have pencilfish as well as tetras, as the pencilfish tend to keep near the top. I will let someone else advise as to numbers of each.

MacZ

Gotcha, i think a community would be better because i don’t have any local fish stores that keep low pH fish.
Ok so I think I’m gonna go with some dicrossus filamentosus and either cardinal tetras or pristella tetras. How many dicrossus could i get?
I see kind of a problem here: Dicrossus are as softwater and low pH as it gets just for holding conditions. They don't do too well in tapwater (GH over 5-7 and pH significantly over 7 is not advisable). I keep a single male in a 100 liter tank (80x35x40) with tetras and pencilfish, water parameters: GH/KH below detection, TDS 30-50, pH 5-5.5. I strongly recommend these parameters for growout and longterm keeping.

You rarely get sexable mature fish, usually they're sold at about 2-3cm length as juveniles and they take a looong time to show their sex and then things go very fast from a relatively peaceful group of juveniles to a band of quite aggressive fish if you have more than one male. I got 5 juveniles a year ago, all turned out male, after 9 months they killed the smallest one and I had to remove all but one. Excellent growout food: Live artemia nauplii.

While Dicrossus can be kept in harems and groups much better than Apistos or even Mikrogeophagus, if you are aiming for a display tank in that size stick to a single male. Everything else is nonesense and very likely to fail.

So get a group of juveniles, grow them out, keep the nicest male and sell/rehome the rest.

MacZ

Ah ok, I’ll do 5 then. Any idea of how many cardinals and pencils I’d be able to get?
Thing is, you will basically use the tank as a growout for the first months. Means: Lots of food, lots of waterchanges. So for the start stick to pencils. They have extremely low bioload and won't eat all the food before it reaches the Dicrossus at the bottom. Once the Dicrossus are sexed and sorted you can add tetras. That's how I went through with it.
So the final stocking can be:
1 Dicrossus filamentosus
10 Nannostomus
6-8 Tetras

If you get females and want to keep some of them, it may be necessary to scratch the tetras.

MacZ

Expect the usual once a month. As I haven't bred them myself I can't tell you when to remove the fry. With tetras in the tank nothing will survive, though. In such a tank I'd let nature run its course and not try to get the fry up.

I was able to find A. Psammophila for sale and i think i might do those, i can’t really find much info on them though. Maybe you guys could help me out?

Apistoguy52

I was able to find A. Psammophila for sale and i think i might do those, i can’t really find much info on them though. Maybe you guys could help me out?
Neat fish. I tried to have a friend put some in his pockets when he returned from Canada….$18a fish was a pretty fair price. I’d expect them to be like A diplotaenia, and unlike pretty much every other Apistogramma. Provide lots of sand, little cover above the substrate, and lots of cover within the substrate

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….