• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ZanaZoola14

I am doing one last order before doing a large rescape on my apisto tank of dimensions 100cmX30cmX40cm.

What are things that you would say are a must-have for Apistogramma? Or something that you prefer to have for yours?

(I am also working the tank towards blackwater (where it is the darker colour with tannins, wood and leaf-litter/botanicals)

MacZ

Must-have: Sand, leaf litter, driftwood
Nice-to-have: Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Nymphaea lotus

These fish are just easy to please.

(I am also working the tank towards blackwater (where it is the darker colour with tannins, wood and leaf-litter/botanicals)
True (extremely soft and very acidic) or faux (tinted tapwater) blackwater?
Depending on the species you keep true blackwater could be wrong. Generally soft ( < 2° GH/KH) water is always preferred, though.

ZanaZoola14

Must-have: Sand, leaf litter, driftwood
Nice-to-have: Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Nymphaea lotus

These fish are just easy to please.

True (extremely soft and very acidic) or faux (tinted tapwater) blackwater?
Depending on the species you keep true blackwater could be wrong. Generally soft ( < 2° GH/KH) water is always preferred, though.
I have sand (ordering more to make it deeper or incase I don't have enough), a good 5kg of leaf litter available and various other botanicals, and spider wood that I am making into a tree and about a kg of driftwood (I could get more if needed).

I have hydrocotyle leucocephala (Brazilian pennywort in other tanks and can add it) and I have five bulbs of red tiger lotus.

More towards faux, as I am adding the tannins to help lower ph and soften my water, as I am rather hard water. I know the two are rather domesticated and true blackwater would be too much, but I am aiming to add it to an extent it is good, but not too much that it could make them unwell.

MacZ

More towards faux, as I am adding the tannins to help lower ph and soften my water, as I am rather hard water. I know the two are rather domesticated and true blackwater would be too much, but I am aiming to add it to an extent it is good, but not too much that it could make them unwell.
The humic substances from leaf litter do virtually nothing about the pH if your KH is relatively high. And they do not soften water. Maybe counteract KH, but not significantly.

ZanaZoola14

The humic substances from leaf litter do virtually nothing about the pH if your KH is relatively high. And they do not soften water. Maybe counteract KH, but not significantly.
That is what I thought, however, my ph has dropped by about 0.5, so I am keeping it at what level I have now to see how much it has dropped from tap of 7.4.

MacZ

Tap at 7.4... Your water is likely not even that hard. But without GH or KH readings that's impossible to say. I'd recommend testing those or at least look up the water analysis from your water provider.
A 0.5 drop in pH is the most you will get out of botanicals usually. That's why I wrote "significantly". The hardness should be untouched though.

ZanaZoola14

Tap at 7.4... Your water is likely not even that hard. But without GH or KH readings that's impossible to say. I'd recommend testing those or at least look up the water analysis from your water provider.
A 0.5 drop in pH is the most you will get out of botanicals usually. That's why I wrote "significantly". The hardness should be untouched though.
I just did a reading of my tank. PH is 7.2, GH is around 10dGH, and KH is around 9dKH.

MacZ

I just did a reading of my tank. PH is 7.2, GH is around 10dGH, and KH is around 9dKH.
That's medium hard, pH in the neutral range. With that KH botanicals will indeed not influence pH further than maybe 0.5 and a bit.
You say your Apistos are a domestic strain - I expect A. cacatuoides? - so that should not pose a problem.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
What are things that you would say are a must-have for Apistogramma? Or something that you prefer to have for yours?
<"Fairly fine silica sand">, <"structural leaf litter">, <"plenty of moss">, <"Amazon Frogbit">, <"soft water">, <"live food">.

If I wanted a recipe to follow? I'd recommend @apistobob (Bob Wiltshire) <"website">.

Some-ones advice to follow? @Mike Wise ("Wise by name, wise by nature").

Apistogramma in their native habitat? <"TomC's website"> @Tom C .

General fish keeping? He has been there and done it, he knows what he is talking about Larry @Apistomaster .

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….