• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rams spawning, got really good video of egg laying

Ade205

Hi all. Thought would share video I took today of a pair of Blue Rams spawning in my new Discus tank. Managed to capture egg laying very clearly....
I've had Rams spawn before in Discus tanks but these two are pretty aggressive, not helped by fact they've spawned smack bang centre of the tank! Discus are not in tank yet as still growing them on but think I might have to remove the mated pair of Rams. There is a 3rd ram in the tank who is now getting chased a lot so think will remove, I've got a nice community tank he will fit into nicely! Plus he's a pig and will be easy to catch at feeding time!!

Hope enjoy the vid...

Ade.

DWinchester

That video is spectacular!!! And your tank is beautiful. My apisto has been sitting in the Java moss for 12 hrs now .. wondering if she's spawning there I bought a ceramic cave yesterday which she hasn't found The male though, has planted himself outside of it.. Lol... 'ummm... no one is home..!'

Ade205

Thank you very much. This pair gave me many spawns which in turn has given me lots of store credit!! Sadly I lost the male as a result of a siphoning accident while removing their last batch of wrigglers. I was devastated! Those babies are 4 weeks old now and I've 60 surviving and am determined to raise them in memory of their Dad! Interesting to note that the male would guard the eggs and both were pretty chilled unless anyone got really close... since losing the male the female has laid eggs twice and actively guarded the eggs with another female in the tank as if a pair. They are both terrors and who ever isn't sat on the eggs will actively hunt other tank members. I'm going to have to remove them to another tank as the Discus are getting the brunt of their attention. It's amazing how protective they are protecting the slowly fungusing eggs!
Imo though, even after seeing it many times, I still find the sight of a pair of gbr's in the middle of a cloud of fry one of the best in the hobby... truly a privilege to witness.... this is my pair with one of the few spawns I didn't remove babies at wrigglers stage. Sadly they don't survive long in a community.
Think you said in another post your Apistos are Honsloi? I've not kept this species yet but I've found most spawn sooner rather than later wether your ready or not!! And if not there's many on here who will be able to advise on ways to try and encourage them to get it on!!
Good luck, sure won't be long before there's little fins everywhere!

Ade.

Last edited:

DWinchester

Wow...The GBR w/Fry video is fabulous as well!!! I'm so sorry about the Dad's accident .. they were a beautiful.pair. I swear I could stare at my Aquariums all day... their personalities can be so interesting! My GBR and electric blues have not shown any spawning activity.... I honestly don't know if they are male/female. I've had them about a year. My apisto's I've only had for about 3 weeks. They are Hongsloi super reds. Having never had breeding fish, (except a couple Platy's that I used to establish the 65g tank), I wasn't sure if the one was ill or not. I've had a couple rounds of swim bladder and an internal parasite (or something) with a discus and have successfully recovered this guy 3 times , but this apisto only showed a graying of her colors and odd placement in the tank. She moved off the moss when I fed this morning, then moved back. So I read, and correct me if I'm wrong, that I'm supposed to feed the fry some baby brine shrimp... if we even get that far. Yes? If so, I'd better get some today cause I'm on shift the next several days. (I'm an Emergency Dept RN).

Ade205

Yes baby brine shrimp are first food of choice for apisto fry.... they are quite time consuming to produce though, I'd recommend researching how to hatch them. Problem with Apistos fry is they like their food to wiggle! You can use dry or liquid fry food and plenty have had success but they grow far better and with higher survival numbers on live food.
Regarding your Hongsloi female, does she show any brooding colouration like this Hongsloi female with her fry?
Screenshot_20180729-190700.png
Females will turn very yellow when either ready to breed, already have eggs or wrigglers, and during fry rearing. Also, do you have spare tanks? Success will be limited at best with tankmates you've listed and success may require a tank of their own.

Ade.

DWinchester

She has not turned yellow yet. . I'll attach a pic from an hour ago. I'm not sure if they fade to this color before turning yellow . or if she's just not right I do have either a fry net/basket or a 3g hospital tank. I have 3 other tanks, currently in use . 2 are saltwater I also read that their first spawn is usually eaten..? I wasn't planning on having fry, but if nature says so, then I guess we will!

Attachments

• 20180729_103930.jpg
    20180729_103930.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 287

DragonRider

5 Year Member
Great videos! I've always wanted GBR's. I'd love to get some for my 40b, a south american community tank. However I do have botia Kubotai 3 of them and wanted to get a small school of Cory's. What do you think, re home the botia and get cory's or no other bottom dwellers? I hate to buy from lfs truthfully, I've never had much luck with them living. I usually get my fish from my aquarium society or forum breeders close enough to pick up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….