• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peruvian Bitaeniata hard to breed

Champ_17

5 Year Member
From my experience apistogramma Bitaeniata from Peru is very hard to breed harder than Brazilian Bitaeniata. I don't know why? may be most of them are wild caught so the water condition in my tank is not suitable for them.
I try to set the condition to lower pH around 5.5 by peatmoss, soft water by use RO water 100%, all these thing didn't help me so much, some time the couple are not get along well.The male bite female to death. I try to find another female which get along well with the male but she eat all her egg after spawning.
Finally this time i will not let her eat eggs again I take all of eggs together with cave to the breeding box. I hope without mother all of egg will hatch.
IMG_0156.jpg
Copy of 1005905_133707810169335_127257112_n (Small).jpg

Champ_17

5 Year Member
If anyone know the trick please tell me I used to Peru Bitaeniata for 5 pair but i can't get fry from them.
the species i can breed now is A. breitbinden
IMG_5975 (Small).JPG

IMG_6223 (Small).JPG

Diplotaeniata
IMG_6329 (Small).JPG
img_5601small (Small).jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've never had a Brazilian population of A. bitaeniata, but have successfully reproduced many Peruvian populations of the decades. Yes, they do require more attention than many other apistos, but are not as difficult to breed as A. piaroa (= A. sp. Breitbinden). I find them a bit shy, but not to the extreme as their cousin, A. ermnopyge. I also find that young males are 'over-sexed' and have more success with older males with 1-3 younger females.

Champ_17

5 Year Member
I've never had a Brazilian population of A. bitaeniata, but have successfully reproduced many Peruvian populations of the decades. Yes, they do require more attention than many other apistos, but are not as difficult to breed as A. piaroa (= A. sp. Breitbinden). I find them a bit shy, but not to the extreme as their cousin, A. ermnopyge. I also find that young males are 'over-sexed' and have more success with older males with 1-3 younger females.

ํ็Thank you for advice. Now I take the old wild female out and put younger female instead I hope this trick will help me to breed wild peru bitaeniata successful .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….