• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peruvian Biotope stocking suggestions?

JimmyTheFish

5 Year Member
Hello from Australia!

I've set up a 450 L (120 gal) aquarium as a peruvian amazonian biotope. It's blackwater with fine river sand, driftwood, leaf litter, and a few Eichnodorus cordifolius with some Frogbit on the surface.

I'm keen to have a group of about 10 Peruvian Altum Angels (Pterophyllum scalare) and am looking for a mix of cichlds (most definitely some dwarfs), catfish and tetras that may suit the geography and make good tanks mates.

Happy for and would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions.

Many Thanks

JimmyTheFish

5 Year Member
20190123_130113.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've set up a 450 L (120 gal) aquarium as a peruvian amazonian biotope. It's blackwater with fine river sand, driftwood, leaf litter, and a few Eichnodorus cordifolius with some Frogbit on the surface.

I'm keen to have a group of about 10 Peruvian Altum Angels (Pterophyllum scalare) and am looking for a mix of cichlds (most definitely some dwarfs), catfish and tetras that may suit the geography and make good tanks mates.
You will need a bit more cover at ground level for the dwarf cichlids, something to break up line of sight. You could use more Terminalia catappa leaves, but something more structural like <"Magnola grandiflora or Eriobotrya (Loquat) leaves"> would be better. You would probably need some more "caves" as well.

<"Apistogramma and Corydoras"> don't tend to be a very good mix, but there maybe other nocturnal catfish (Panaqolus spp.? or Tatia spp.) available to you that are a better fit.

Tetra's will need to be big enough not to become Angel food, so I might go with a deeper bodied species, I don't know which species are conspecific with Peruvian Pterophyllum.

cheers Darrel

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Bleeding Hearts are Peruvian and deep bodied. Hyphessobrycon margitae is another good shout if you can find them. There are a few species of Hatchetfish that are from Peru as well. Petitella georgiae might be a good shout, especially if you get the Angels started young so they are used to the tetras by the time they are big enough to eat them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….