• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peru Tetras

aarhud

5 Year Member
I'm coming up with my list for an Apistogramma baenschi biotope. Does Peru have a reasonably available tetra that is similar to the Ember tetra Hyphessobrycon amandae? I'm going to include Nannostomus marginatus, but doubt I will be able to reproduce them. My goal this year is to successfully raise a few batches of Characin.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi aarhud + all..

Some friends of mine have been breeding Nannostomus species ..and other species too.. ( Heterocharax sp./Trochilocharax ornatus...
I guess these are coming from Peru..)
and this one also... Odontocharacidium aphanes !!

And remember.... "a community tank is not a breeding tank!!" (If you want some surviving fry ??!!)

One way with Nannostomus is to put a couple/(trio?) in a separate tank with a lot of fibre-peat (50% of the total tank volume)
..then add some/lot of plants (Micranthemum..) and some proper light ofcourse..!!
... use OK water..(low pH/kH/TDS/EC),
..feed with live,newly hatched Artemia / BBS..,

...and most of the time - fry will appear in the tank sooner or later..!!:);)

You my also take the female/couple out of the tank after spawning...

These species may have different spawning strategies.., but as long as food, hiding-places and OK water is provided ..they often can manage to reproduce!!
( I have got info that the Troch. ornatus-females may (?) carry the fertilized eggs until they find a "safe place" to attach/release them, in plants or so..?, like most/some Oryzias species do!!)

This "Characin-breeding-tank-idea" for these species ought to work OK if you "scape" a tank that looks similar to the tanks in this link/thread...!!!
But you can also create a "V-tank"(V-becken- german) wich includes a separate area where fry can be safe/grow!!

http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/t...basement-with-planted-tanks.17497/#post-94192

Cheers,
Micke

Last edited:

aarhud

5 Year Member
Thank you for the info Micke,

The Odontocharacidium aphanes look really neat! Were Trochilocharax ornatus difficult to spawn? I am really interested in them!

I will have to give your method of breeding Nannostomus a try. I'm practicing culturing infusoria and can collect enough rainwater for the small breeding tanks I have. I have several small tanks that I will use for breeding the characins/Nannostomus. I also bought a few different materials to experiment with building egg traps. I'm going to use a PVC frame cut to fit the bottom of the tank and then secure the mesh to the frame.

The biotope tank will be a show tank and a home while I condition the fish. Fish will be moved to smaller tanks for spawning. I'm sure a couple of Apistogramma fry will make it every now and then, but I don't think any other fry would have much of a chance.

aarhud

5 Year Member
So far I have decided on:
Trochilocharax ornatus
Hyphessobrycon loretoensis
Nannostomus marginatus
Apistogramma baenschi

MickeM

5 Year Member
Thank you for the info Micke,

The Odontocharacidium aphanes look really neat! Were Trochilocharax ornatus difficult to spawn? I am really interested in them!

I will have to give your method of breeding Nannostomus a try. I'm practicing culturing infusoria and can collect enough rainwater for the small breeding tanks I have. I have several small tanks that I will use for breeding the characins/Nannostomus. I also bought a few different materials to experiment with building egg traps. I'm going to use a PVC frame cut to fit the bottom of the tank and then secure the mesh to the frame.

The biotope tank will be a show tank and a home while I condition the fish. Fish will be moved to smaller tanks for spawning. I'm sure a couple of Apistogramma fry will make it every now and then, but I don't think any other fry would have much of a chance.

I am actually not sure how difficult the Trochilocharax ornatus are to breed.. since my friend (with the basement) got new youngsters several times I guess.!?. He observed spawning behaviours... and later a few fry/youngsters some times ..
And... the ones he first bought had dissapeared/died (one by one)..
And since the only ones left in the tank after a year or so were smaller in size.. he understood that there were only 2nd generation individuals left!
But I think you can get a more effective result if you either move a spawning trio/group from "peat-tank" to "peat-tank".. or use a V-tank!!

http://veloofahren.ch/Aquarium/v-becken.htm

MickeM

5 Year Member
It is an old technic( 1970-80-90`s ??) for difficult/problematic(?) egglaying fishes, but I guess many breeders have kept it a secret...;)

Or as one persistent, wise and funny man in our local killie-club always says......
"If that(any) species is so hard /difficult to get into spawning....how can it then manage to exist and survive in the wild/nature ? " :D:D:D:D

It is the same thing as for any knowledges I guess... it is easy/logic when you finally understands it!!!:):):)

/Micke

aarhud

5 Year Member
Can you explain how the V tank works? Do eggs get pulled into the V chamber?

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi aarhud + all..

There are several ways to do it...,
but normally you fill the side with no pump/filter in it(Section 1).. with plenty of plants or other spawning-material..
And then you put the grown fishes into that section..where they then can spawn..(place/lay/attach their eggs),
I guess you may also put a net/grill-construction at the bottom if you want to...!!
Then the circulation-effect presses the water towards the coneshaped glasswall with the tight opening ..where the water + wrigglers/fry flow into the other part of the tank..( Safe side/zone!!/Section 2)
..where you can net them up and place them in a second tank nearby if you want to...
But you can also keep the fry in that section to grow for some time.. as long as they do not attack/eat their next-coming siblings..

So you can say that the glasswall separate the fry from their constant hungry,opportunistic parents( often the females??) :):)
..and most of the time the fry will not be able or want to swim back (against the water-flow..) to the same side where the grown fishes are swimming..!!
..and if they do ..they will probably be chased back into section nr 2 again , at least if the grown fishes are bullying or chasing them !!!??

I doubt that all/many eggs will "flow" into section 2..(maybe if you have ridiculously strong current from the pump!!??:D;)),
but most of the wrigglers or fry will !! Especially if you feed them proper food in there..
One side-effect may also be that food (and restproducts) that has been left over from the grown-ups will probably end up in section 2 as well!!??!!

/Micke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….