• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pencilfish identification

Qrak

5 Year Member
Hello, I've been lurking around here for quite some time now, but this is my first post here, so welcome.
Recently, I bought some pencilfish. They were sold as N. nitidus, but I couldn't get a good look at them in the store. When I put them in my tank I realised they don't look at all like nitidus, they are more slender and don't have almost any red coloring. When I compared them with pictures online, they are most similar to the N. cf. minimus from Colombia, which I found on Tom's site. Right now, they are about 2 cm in length and are still quite timid, but I managed to take some pictures of them. Could you help me identify them?
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG

Best regards,
Marcin.

Tom C

5 Year Member
These fishes are either Nannostomus (cf.) minimus, or Nannostomus marilynae.
The two reddish oblique bands on your fish looks more like those on N. marilynae than on N. (cf.) minimus, but I can not from these photos say which one, as there is no good picture of the males' anal fin.
The males of N. marilynae have a short anal fin, a little bit modified, but not much longer than the anal fin of females.
The anal fin of the N. (cf.) minimus males are greatly modified and much longer than in females, like seen on Nannostomus digrammus.

Qrak

5 Year Member
Похоже на твою рыбу?
No, they are much slimmer.
These fishes are either Nannostomus (cf.) minimus, or Nannostomus marilynae.
The two reddish oblique bands on your fish looks more like those on N. marilynae than on N. (cf.) minimus, but I can not from these photos say which one, as there is no good picture of the males' anal fin.
The males of N. marilynae have a short anal fin, a little bit modified, but not much longer than the anal fin of females.
The anal fin of the N. (cf.) minimus males are greatly modified and much longer than in females, like seen on Nannostomus digrammus.
I looked through your pictures and I see what you mean, but I have too little experience to tell. To make matters worse, right now I have a serious outbreak of green water in the tank so I can hardly see (let alone take pictures!) the fish. I found some old pictures that may tell you something.
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG

Thanks for your help!
Best regards,
Marcin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….