• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pencil fish ID

Aquaman074

5 Year Member
Hello
I need help identifying this pencil fish I came across my local fish store. Any help will be appreciated. I want to make sure I don't buy any Beckford's, thanks.
IMG_20200905_124726.jpg
Pencil.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_124715.jpg
    IMG_20200905_124715.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 179

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
A female N.. beckfordi - males are much more colorful. I had some as dithers for Apistogramma sp. Steel Blue. The pencils didn't bother the apisto fry; they spawned, & both species of young grew up in the same tank. I'm not sure why some people look down their noses at N. beckfordi; they're quite beautiful & a lot more durable than most other Nannostomus species.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm not sure why some people look down their noses at N. beckfordi
I think it is just they are more likely to eat Apistogramma fry than other Pencilfish. I'd agree they are a very attractive fish and easier to care for, and breed, than the other species.
for Apistogramma sp. Steel Blue.
My go with these <"ended in tears">, but they are also a very underrated and attractive fish, if I ever see both males and females for sale I'm going to buy them.

Mine were quite feisty for a little fish.

cheer Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….