• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis roloffi "Samba" spawned

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Interesting breeding behavior as compare to the "kolente". Also the male was constantly 'poking' his head into the cave to check on the spawn as well as picking up food and spitting into the cave just to have the female spit it back out.

On a different note, Congochromis sabinae has spawned 3 times already. I am testing spawn size versus conductivity....very interesting.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Been 8 days now and the fry are still in the cave. I finally couldnt resist and took a peek inside and saw at least 50 little ones in the corner of cave.

Here is a pic of the male with female inside the cave. Notice her darken lateral band.
268282_1878161672867_1206021231_31638713_3266799_n.jpg

Here is a pic of the female with the male inside the cave.
268282_1878161552864_1206021231_31638710_5422609_n.jpg

The school of "Samba" fry should be coming out very soon! In the mean time, the Congochromis sabinae took theirs out today.
This time is a more manageable 50+ fry instead of the 300+ that was way out of control. I finally got the conductivity dialed in to control the spawn size. I hate to see all those eggs got fungused but I hated doing 3x 50% water change every day for 300+ fry more.
269687_1878164992950_1206021231_31638714_957776_n.jpg

To wrap the day up, Dicrossus maculatus has spawned today (like clockwork every 8 wks) and this time is going to be another 100+. Any advice on how to unload a few hundreds of these guy?! Boy, they grow so slow even with daily 50% water change. Go check out this great video on Dicrossus maculatus in their natural habitat. http://en.aquanet.tv/

westafrica

5 Year Member
Nice job! And nice pics too!

Thanks for the behavioural observations too BTW ;) . I'm not sure you can compare the "food spitting" behaviour of 2 pairs of distinct geographical forms and deduce it is a difference between the 2 forms though, given among different pairs of Pelvicachromis spp. you can either or not observ this trend, including among the same species / geographical form / or even among pairs formed out of the offspring of 1 same couple. It remains a really interesting observation though! ;)

Congrats for the D. maculatus & C. sabinae spawn by the way! Any idea of the geographical form of your sabinae? They look like either Tsuhapa or Genema to me, but I may be wrong!

viejo

5 Year Member
WETHUMBS, depending where you are located I would be interested in young D. maculatus. I am in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

georgedv

5 Year Member
Congrats on you successfull spawns wethumbs. That video on D macs was also interesting. I am also interested in young d macs. I'm in Greenville, SC USA.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I know, I must have watched that video a dozen times focusing on different facets of the video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….