• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

peat and RO still having high ph

DBlauj

So I have been using store bought RO water and soaking it for 3 days with sphagnum peat moss. When I test it the ph level is about 6.6. After a couple of days in the tanks the ph will jump back up to 7.6 and I can't seem to figure out why or what is making it jump back up. I have sand for substrate, some malaysian dw and sphagnum peat moss scattered throughout the tank. Does anyone know why my ph would jump back up?

regani

5 Year Member
There may be something in the sand that raises pH. Sometimes you get sources of calcium carbonate in the sand, depending where it comes from. Take some out and test it with some acid.
If it is not the sand, you may have to check every single thing in the tank, including the driftwood, by keeping in in a separate container in RO water to see if it raises pH.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'd agree with Regani, it is likely to be the sand. Having said that pH isn't a very useful measurement in water with out many ions. Do you have a conductivity meter?

cheers Darrel

DBlauj

Hi all,
I'd agree with Regani, it is likely to be the sand. Having said that pH isn't a very useful measurement in water with out many ions. Do you have a conductivity meter?

cheers Darrel

No as of right now I do not have a conductivity meter. If it is the sand what type is everyone else using (those that use sand that is)?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
If it is the sand what type is everyone else using (those that use sand that is)?
You want 100% silica sand, "pool filter sand" is the best. Sea sand will normally have shell fragments in it, these are the more soluble aragonite form of calcium carbonate (CaCO3), so in very soft water you only need a very small amount of shell to raise the pH.

pH is a bit of a strange measurement in that it records the ratio of acids:bases. In RO you have no acids or bases, although often it will be acidic due to the 0.01% of atmospheric CO2 that has dissolved to form carbonic acid. Have a look at Regani's 2nd post in this thread <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/700-liter-amazone.13197/#post-71427> for an explanation of pH and conductivity

A conductivity meter is a much more straight forward, if the conductivity rises in RO water with some sand in it in a beaker, it is the sand that is buffering the water with Ca++ (dGH) and HCO3- ions (dKH).

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….