• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parasite or constipation?

Kylec66

The pics I could get but is this a parasite or constipation? Pretty new to aquarium keeping in general haven’t had to deal with this yet… also how would I fix whatever is happening?

Attachments

• DAFAF2B2-67CB-4C94-89C0-E51B564AC3A2.jpeg
    DAFAF2B2-67CB-4C94-89C0-E51B564AC3A2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 202
  • B164D911-2E8B-494E-875E-62F67A1A48EE.jpeg
    B164D911-2E8B-494E-875E-62F67A1A48EE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 197

Kylec66

Besides the long string of poop there is nothing to see in the pictures that helps identifiying a possible problem. Could be overfeeding or a parasite. One would need more info. Click the next sentence:
I've borrowed the "emergency template" from Fishlore. Mind filling it out?

Only other question not in there: Is the fish wild caught and has it been dewormed properly?
I’d have to ask the fish store if wild caught but being a “steel blue” I doubt it was wild caught but it went through the stores QT but I could probably do some dewormer. I feed twice a day I could potentially be over feeding. I feed baby brine and frozen blood worms

Kylec66

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
17 gal
How long has the tank been running?
4 months
Does it have a filter?
Canister filter fluval 107
Does it have a heater?
No
What is the water temperature?
76-82
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
8 cardinals, 4 panda Corys, 2 apistogramma steel blue, 3 assassin snails, 5 amano shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Twice a week
How much of the water do you change?
30%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachum prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Just water and gravel vac every 2 weeks
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API liquid test
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 15ppm
pH:6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? Half a cube of frozen baby brine, a third of a cube of blood worms, 2 hichari sinking waffers brand of food do you feed your fis
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? The cardinals and Cory’s 2 months and the apistos 1 week
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Last night
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Long stringy poop on the male apisto
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No very healthy looking and active
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? It hasn’t just noticed the poop

MacZ

Then better go ask your LFS if they really dewormed them and if they found anything during quarantine. 1 Week is actually far too short for a quarantine phase.

Look out for behavioural changes. If the fish becomes reclusive in the coming weeks and/or stops to eat, you might really have a parasite problem at hand.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….