• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

panduros and inca50's..

ginnie5

5 Year Member
which is more aggressive? I will be picking up 2 pairs of each Friday. Some will go in the 75 and the others will be divided up in pairs among smaller tanks. They are about 3/4" and just starting to show some pair behavior. I'd like to put the least aggressive in the smaller tanks. Haven't seen alot of info on these 2 fish. thanks!

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Apistogramma aggression is not a thing easily explained.

It is true that in the wild a male has a super territory. In that super territory female have there own smaller territories, which are to some extent, dictated by the male.

This also shown in the aquarium.

If you have a male Apistogramma with multiple females they can live quite happily until a female decides she is ready to spawn. If the other remaining females are not ready to spawn the male is more than likely to turn on them to the point they need to be removed. If the other females are ready to spawn however, he will spawn with all of them. He will also intercede in confrontation between these females. Chasing the females back into there respective territories.

The male super territory in the aquarium is as large as it is possible for him do defend this may mean the entire tank, even if it is a 5’ long. Also it is almost impossible IMO to have two territorial males in an aquarium of less than 6’. You stand more chance of keeping 3 territorial males in a 5’ foot with a couple of non territorial males. IMO this is because it takes to much energy for one male to be able to dominate the whole tank. If you have only 2 males it takes only one fight to win the tank which for the winning male is well worth it. Though in a large aquarium this male may well survive.

In answer to your question, I would put all of the fish you have in the larger of the 2 aquariums. I would then wait and see which male becomes most dominate and wait for a female to show spawning dress and remove this pair to the smaller on.

One thing I have learn over the years keeping all cichlid is that every thing that is written about them should be taken as a guild and not as a rule.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….