• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Panduro Sexing Help

BigDaddyAdo

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Just had a pair of Panduro sent to me and am doubting if I ended up with a male and female. I have only managed to get a pic of 1 so far as the other hides when the camera is near.

What do you think?

Bd6BYNx.jpg

I will post a pic of the other one when it stays still long enough. :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For me the wild pattern is what one looks for in an ideal specimen. Those specimens without this pattern are almost always domestic bred fish. Without knowing the size and age of the fish it is hard to sex. Juvenile males look very much like females - as do subdominant sneeker males.

The females of the typical form, with a large lower flank patch, also show a large dark patch on the gill cover. Your fish shows only a cheek stripe. Females of the Brustband form, which show a wide vertical stripe on the flanks also only shows a cheek stripe - like all males. Without the visible flank markings it is not possible to determine which form that you own so the cheek stripe is not a reliable sex marker.

BigDaddyAdo

5 Year Member
I should also mention that the top one is 5cm and the bottom one is 3cm. If the larger one is a male should I be expecting better colouring at this size?

I have a choice to make. I can either take another fish from the same batch that looks just like the top photo or wait until they get an obvious female in stock.

What do you think Mike? You are the expert so I will probably go with whatever you suggest. I just need to decide by Monday. :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The photos you show are of a nice looking male and IMHO a rather poor quality - color-wise - female. The color in the photo of the male's flanks is probably a bit washed out. If you looked at the same fish in a beam of sunlight, my guess is that the sky-blue flanks would show better. As for the female, look at the photos of A. panduro on TomC's site: http://www.tomc.no/fish.aspx?fishIndexID=2387&gruppeID=1. Note the markings on the female in the top right photo (type form) and last photo (Brustband form). These are what females should look like.

Both of your fish look healthy, so no problem there. If, however, I wanted to produce the best offspring, I would pick breeders with wild markings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….