• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Optimal feeding of a. cacatuoides and other apistos

Sallywally

5 Year Member
Good evening. I recently purchased some F1 apistogramma cacatuoides. I have one fully mature pair, and 2 younger females in a 29 gallon tank. They had been fed exclusively on frozen blood worms prior to my purchase of them last week. Should I maintain them on this diet exclusively? My other apistos (a. panduro's) receive New Life Spectrum small pellets daily and a variety of frozen foods including bloodworms, glass worms, daphnia and spirulina enhanced brine shrimp in rotation of a pm.
I have tried the NLS pellets with the new cacatuoides, and the male nibbled at a couple of them, but the females ignored them. All feed well on the frozen bloodworms, but I have concerns on that being their exclusive diet. Any help would be appreciated.

aspen

5 Year Member
i like to give my fish a variety, the foods you are using are all quite good. i would rotate them off of bloodworms to the other foods and eventually feed them the same as the others. live brine shrimp make a really good spawning enhancement ime.

as for the new life specrum food, have you ever taken a pellet and put it into some water? it swells quite a bit. i don't use that food, for that reason, being afraid of bloat. or, just soak it for a bit.

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….