• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opps. That happened faster than expected. Not ready.

Lunker

I am looking for some help. I've got a cacatuoides, male and 2 females. There are some black tetras in the tank as well. I had a spawn and apparently it was successful. I have about 30-50 fry to my best guess. I am over filtered with an old 404 canister so flow is pretty high (I have a spray bar) 36 bow. What would you do if you wanted to save the fry. They are past wigglers and some what free swimming.

I can try to separate but would need to pick up a tank tomorrow.

Attachments

• ABC664D5-88DB-42A8-8FFC-62AE9EFB903E.jpeg
    ABC664D5-88DB-42A8-8FFC-62AE9EFB903E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 107

yukondog

5 Year Member
If your not ready to deal with fry than let nature take it's course and get everything together you need for next time, you might get a few to survive but I railey do, for me at best it might be 1 or 2. But if you want to save them, get brine shrimp going, the one thing I do [railey will I pull fry] is use a three gl. to start off with the smallest tank I have 5 gl. I find it easier feed and maintain [with syphoning and w/c] the smaller tank with feeding and letting them stay schooled up, I have a higher survivability rate doing it this way, but that is my way and yours may be different. Good luck and welcome to the sight.

MacZ

I agree with yukondog. Don't try something you're not ready for. Besides: Do you have a growout tank? Do you know where to sell/rehome them?
Especially the last question should be cleared without any doubts. Ask your LFS if they will take them. If not, get into your local marketplaces for ornamental fish (ebay classifieds for example) and take a look around. If the species/strain is already found easily in your area, probably keep it to raising one spawn to get a hang if it and switch to another species that is easier to sell. Otherwise you might end up with a lot of fish you didn't ask for in the first place.

Was breeding even planned from the beginning? What you say about your setup sounds like a display tank, not a breeding setup. The picture also says so.

Lunker

Thanks for the replies. I will get it figured out today. I have raised Africans in the past which are pretty easy. First time with this species of cichlid. Figured I would check in with ”the experts”. Throwing a tank together is pretty easy for me. I have the space and the means. I also have a few other tanks up and going.

Eddy. E.

Breeding Apistogramma offspring to a respectable, saleable size, possibly even in pairs, is no easy matter. It takes time and some effort. I wish you that you can overcome the hurdles.

Lunker

Breeding Apistogramma offspring to a respectable, saleable size, possibly even in pairs, is no easy matter. It takes time and some effort. I wish you that you can overcome the hurdles.
Thanks. Update I removed 75% of the fry. Set up a fry tank. Started them on egg yoke solution until I get my first hatch of bbs. We will see. I am pretty resourceful when I need to be. I will have no issues relocating (if) and when they mature a little bit more. The male was removed from the trio. He was not impressed with the fry being removed.

Attachments

• 765DDCBF-8B27-44FA-83DE-2240B2CF2E58.jpeg
    765DDCBF-8B27-44FA-83DE-2240B2CF2E58.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • 12E4ECAC-A67A-4FDD-9225-E288B0E2E6F2.jpeg
    12E4ECAC-A67A-4FDD-9225-E288B0E2E6F2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 95

Lunker

If your not ready to deal with fry than let nature take it's course and get everything together you need for next time, you might get a few to survive but I railey do, for me at best it might be 1 or 2. But if you want to save them, get brine shrimp going, the one thing I do [railey will I pull fry] is use a three gl. to start off with the smallest tank I have 5 gl. I find it easier feed and maintain [with syphoning and w/c] the smaller tank with feeding and letting them stay schooled up, I have a higher survivability rate doing it this way, but that is my way and yours may be different. Good luck and welcome to the sight.
I jumped a few hurdles today.

Lunker

I agree with yukondog. Don't try something you're not ready for. Besides: Do you have a growout tank? Do you know where to sell/rehome them?
Especially the last question should be cleared without any doubts. Ask your LFS if they will take them. If not, get into your local marketplaces for ornamental fish (ebay classifieds for example) and take a look around. If the species/strain is already found easily in your area, probably keep it to raising one spawn to get a hang if it and switch to another species that is easier to sell. Otherwise you might end up with a lot of fish you didn't ask for in the first place.

Was breeding even planned from the beginning? What you say about your setup sounds like a display tank, not a breeding setup. The picture also says so.
I am pretty resourceful when I need to be. I guess I am a hands on learner. Btw the fry are currently in a grow out tank.

Lunker

Thanks for you insight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….