• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

One Year with a 90 Gallon Planted Aquarium

atmagoulick

5 Year Member
I have had success with growing Echinodorus bleheri in a 90 gallon. Here are some pictures of the tank growing. There are some other plants in the aquarium also. The Echinodorus bleheri really fill the tank quickly.

Attachments

• DSCN0176.JPG
    DSCN0176.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 581
  • DSCN0177.JPG
    DSCN0177.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 523
  • DSCN0191.JPG
    DSCN0191.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 530
  • DSCN0219.JPG
    DSCN0219.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 582
  • DSCN0245.JPG
    DSCN0245.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 534
  • DSCN0269.JPG
    DSCN0269.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 572
  • DSCN0275.JPG
    DSCN0275.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 501
  • February 28, 2018.JPG
    February 28, 2018.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 853

atmagoulick

5 Year Member
I use three light strips with fluorescent bulbs for this 90 gallon aquarium. Two of the lights strips have double t5, 10,000 k bulbs. The third light strip has double t8, 10,000k bulbs. However, a double t8 ballast will grow Echinodorus bleheri in a 90 gallon aquarium and enough light to grow many other plants. I had extra light strips, so I added them to the aquarium. Natural sun light is said to be 6,500 k. I use the 10,000 k bulbs because Echinodorus bleheri thrives in bright light. I have experimented with using two 20,000 k metal halide bulbs for a year. Then, I experimented with a 6,500 mercury vapor bulbs for a year. I have had the best result with 10,000k fluorescent bulbs. The Madagascan lace plant grow best under a 20,000 k metal halide bulb. I stopped using the metal halide and the mercury vapor bulbs, because of the heat the ballast creates. Plus, fans are required to disperse the heat. The fans were to loud for my comfort.
The substrate is also important. The substrate is sand with iron laterite added. I also place miracle grow sticks under the plants roots. The plants on the top of the aquarium were orchids. They were doing well, but the fish needed more swimming space. I think any marsh or terrarium plants will grow on the surface. Thanks for your interest.

atmagoulick

5 Year Member
Again, the plants on the top of the aquarium were orchids. They were doing well, but the fish needed more swimming space. I think any marsh or terrarium plants will grow on the surface. I have not experimented with l. e. d. lights, but would like to purchase some. Thanks for your interest. I have plants to trade.

atmagoulick

5 Year Member
I have some orchids similar to Cattleya. About 5 years ago, I treated a fish for ich and everything died.
December 20, 2017 217.JPG
December 20, 2017 248.JPG

I had to start over. I started with Phalaenopis orchids.
December 20, 2017 304.JPG

They died under water. I have grown Dendrobiums underwater. I was growing Bulbophyllum, Leptotoes, Macaradenia, and Eximea. I bought them at a local orchid show. I can not find any Dendrobiums orchids near me. Do you have any for trade?

atmagoulick

5 Year Member
I have some orchids similar to Cattleya. About 5 years ago, I treated a fish for ich and everything died.
View attachment 7392
View attachment 7393
I had to start over. I started with Phalaenopis orchids.
View attachment 7391
They died under water. I have grown Dendrobiums underwater. I was growing Bulbophyllum, Leptotoes, Macaradenia, and Eximea. I bought them at a local orchid show. I can not find any Dendrobiums orchids near me. Do you have any for trade?
I just updated my 90 gallon. I broke up a clump of Lagenandra Meeboldii pink from a terrarium. I will see if they grow submerged.

Attachments

• December 2, 2020 L meaboldi.jpg
    December 2, 2020 L meaboldi.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 241
  • December 5, 2020 90.jpg
    December 5, 2020 90.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 234

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
They died under water. I have grown Dendrobiums underwater. I was growing Bulbophyllum, Leptotoes, Macaradenia, and Eximea. I bought them at a local orchid show. I can not find any Dendrobiums orchids near me.
These orchids are all epiphytes, they can't be grown constantly wet, and definitely not under water.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….