• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Forum

Csr

Hello everyone,
I just got into Apisto's. I currently have a 90L tank with a Eheim Classic 2213 filter. 3 pairs of apistogramma ramirezi, 1 Apisto agassizii, 1 female apisto pandurini.

My question: I'm looking to purchase a new filter. I'm stuck between Eheim pro 3
250 -2071 and a Eheim pro 2224.
I dont really want to spend a whole lot in the long run so any advice to which I should get would be helpful.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
What's wrong with the current filter? You don't need lots of filtration with dwarfs as generally they need lower stocking levels. You'd be better off doing more frequent water changes with good water to improve the way the tank works IMHO.

Csr

Thanks.
I had forgot to mention. I'm planning on getting a bigger tanks something equivalent to a 40 gallon.
I've seen the 2224 at 109euros and the 2071 at 20 euros more.
Mainly want to know which I should get? and why?

Also would like to know if I should get a ETH in-line heaters or a typical one that goes in the tank?

Csr

Thanks Ed and Darrel
I'm going with the Pro 2224.

Any clues to which heater I should get?
I like the idea behind the ETH heater just don't know what people think about it.

Again thanks in advance

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Eheim (I don't own any other make of filter), the "Pro 2224" or canister filters, it is just an external filter is, at its most fundamental level, a "pump in a bucket".

That is why I like "Eheim Classics", they've made them for years, you can get all the spares and there is nothing electronic to go wrong. I've never had a filter break down, but just in case I like 2 filters. Why not 2 externals? just they are a lot more expensive than a Maxi-jet powerhead and sponge or HMF. If I had more tanks I would definitely run a large air pump and ring main with air powered filters for each tank.

As for ETH heaters, I don't own one, but the Hydor ETH 200 (12mm pipe) (and 300 (16mm)) are both very well thought of, only downside would be that they constrict water flow slightly.

cheers Darrel

Csr

So it would be better to just get the Classic 2215?
And does the ETH heater reduce that much water flow?

Still haven't ordered this stuff just want to make sure products are good for the long run.

Thanks again Darrel

Also
Any ideas on a good buy fairly reasonable priced CO2 systems?
The max would be about 100 euros.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Any Ehiem Filter would be fine. I'd get the largest you can afford as you can't really overfilter and can always direct the flow against the tank wall to stop the fish getting blown about. I have a 2128 and it has been brilliant, but I would get a separate external heater rather than the built in thermofilter in future as there are too many wires on the thermo. I haven't used any though so can't advise you which to choose, just get one that fits your tubing.

For CO2 kits yoiu're best to get a regulator, diffuser etc off Ebay or similar and get a CO2 fire extinguisher locally. This saves shipping costs on the heavy part. Whether you can get all of that for 100 euros I don't know, My system cost about £80 with a solenoid but it was a while ago. There is an article on the UKAPS forum about using a Fire Extinguisher for CO2, give that a read and see what you think.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
And does the ETH heater reduce that much water flow?
I've not used them, but I don't think it should be much reduction in flow. For maximum flow it's always best to have a single length of tubing in as straight a line as possible, but as long as flow remains laminar it shouldn't make much difference.

cheers Darrel

Csr

Thanks guys you have been really helpful.
I'm just going with the traditional heater.
I'm heading out this weekend to get my new tank.
I would like to try to breed A. cacatuoides.

Would like to know, Would indian almond and/or black cones be good to use?
I read online that you should not have any carbon in the filter when using either.
Just want to hear thoughts on this matter.
Also (read on here) that the ratio is 1M-3F.

I have some at my LFS there on hold for me till all my stuff is set up.

Thanks again in advance.
-Cesar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….