• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Cichlids...help!!

arringfray

5 Year Member
Hey,

I have quite an extensive background with fish culture. I actually work at the fisheries and oceans and mostly I take care of the fish culturing (feeding cleaning, moving, etc.). I mostly deal with salmon, trout and domestic stuff like that. I've had a 12g eclispe tank for a few years and have had quite a variety of fish in it but they've always been community tanks.

Anyway a friend of mine if giving me a 33g glass aquarium (same size as a 30g just a few inches taller), and I was thinking about turning it into a cichlid tank. I want to eventually get into salt water tanks and I figure a cichlid tank will be good practice and experience prior to this. I bought myself a fluval 304 filter (more then enough for the tank), and a nice canopy with a plant growing bulb. After about 2 days of searching and reading I think I want to set up a drawf tank. I came to this conclusion for a few reasons. I want to have plants, and not have them eaten; I want some non - semi aggressive fish only; having only a 33g tank would limit me to only a few larger cichids. The question that I have for everyone out there is:

What drawf cichlids should I be looking into???

I've looked around on this forum and read lots of messages but really they weren't much help. I really like the cockatoo cichlids. so if everyone thinks thats a good direction to go then what else can I put with it as far as other cichlids? I would like to get as many different species as I can get into the tank. If the Cockatoo is a bad choice then what are some other good drawf cichlids to start with? I;m really open to any ideas or suggestions. one other question is

What kind of substrate should I use?

I went to a pet shop and they had about 13 different kind of cichlid substrates :eek: Which one would be the best for the fish and plants alike?

What plants would be a good match for darwf cichlids?

I really have alost no experience with plants and have no idea what to get.
my last question is:

What would be a good algea eatter and still be compatable with the cichlids?

I was thinking about maybe a catfish because as they grow they tend to get a little aggressive so then it wouldn't just hide all the time or end up as dinner. If this is a bad idea please let me know, or if its a good idea then what kind of catfish would be the best?

Thank you VERY much everyone for helping me out with this. I can't wait to get this tank up and running!

Apistt_ed

Hello arringfray,

to answer your questions, I'd like to start with addressing which fish you would like to get. This depends on where you are and what kind of water you have. With your water, it comes down to... hardness, ph, nitrate levels and such. With you just starting out Apistogramma cacatuoides (cockatoo) is one of the best choices. It isn't as demanding as some of the other species of apistogramma and its quite hardy if the source of the fish are reliable and you get some necessities. Cacatuoides will do fine in neutral ph and even slightly hard water and they are quite capable of spawning and raising fry in that water also. With "cockatoos" as a possible fish, some other apistos that you could possibly get are also Apistogramma borellii. These will do fine also as they are also a great beginner fish.

As for substrate, you would want to stay away from cichlid sand as it's mostly from african rift lakes and they will tend to buffer your water and raise your ph to above that of the soft water that apistos usually require. what will work is any kind fine grain gravel or even silica sand which is what i use. As long as the substrate is not too large and sharply edged because apistos will sift through it looking for food and even tend to dig around in it. It can cause some damage amongst them rubbing on them. If you tend to have live plants as you suggested any kind of gravel will potentially do fine for the plants that i find do best with apistos.

The plants that i keep with my apistos are amazon swords of all type (dwarfs, cutting swords, etc.), java moss in a clump does well too, java ferns, and matted aquagrass are pretty much a staple for my tanks because all of these plants don't require the extensive lighting of most other plants and the nitrogen injection with most plants also. Another staple for apistos is small caves which most tend to use small clay pots that are kept whole and have had holes tapped out on one side so they can get in or dropped and assembled into makeshift caves by stacking them so small openings are left. Also drift woods are a staple also.

An algae eater that is a must for all apisto tanks is the otto cat. It doesn't eat fry, eggs, and does a great job with the green algae of the tanks. In all of my tanks up to 40 gallons there will be at least 3. they are small and great little cats. Corydoras will eat the eggs and fry as so will plecos even dwarf plecos.

I hope this helps a little. With any new venture into aquarium fishes, spark the interest with a well base of knowledge of the fish or fishes you tend to keep. The more you know about them, the easier it will be and the more you will get out of it when time comes to set everything up for them. best of luck and cheers... keep us posted of everything and keep asking questions. john

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
arringfray,

Welcome to the world of Dwarf Cichlids. Be prepared to get addicted! I started out about 9 months ago with 3 cockatoo's (1M/2F) in a 7 gallon tank. The tank had a driftwood, black tahitian sand, flowerpots, java moss and ferns, anubias and swords with about 2 watts per gallon.

The male and a female spawned once (I have 5 of the original 7 in a 10 gallon) before the dominant female killed the other one. I should have seperated them, but I didn't think of it (a newbie mistake). When I pulled the fry and put them in a second tank, about 21 days after birth, they spawned again (2 days later). This time about 40-50 eggs. The mother decided to kill the father with this brood. :frown: The mom just recently died and the last batch of fry, all but 3, dided off unexpectantly.

The original 5 fry from her first brood are in a ten gallon tank with a dwarf bristlnose pleco, who was in the tank with the eggs and fry and never bothered either. The substate is 1.5 inches of florite and 1.5 silica sand @ 30 grade, driftwood, ferns and moss. I'm getting ready to up the lighting to 3.6 wpg and add in some glossso for ground cover and other light demanding plants for the background.

This is an addictive hobby, hence my screen name, curtiousy of my wife! I can't wait to get a bigger tank. I think my wifes saltwater tank wii have to take priority!

Good luck and have fun!

arringfray

5 Year Member
thanks for the replys guys, they've been a huge help!

I've decided to go with a Apistogramma cacatuoides, Apistogramma borellii, and otto catfish for a tank. I was looking around at substrates and a friend of mine told me this stuff was really good for plants and stuff.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28661&category_id=3145&pcid1=3349

It looks good to me but will it be ok for Cichlids? If you guys don't mind take a look at it and let me know what you think. I do know its not a sand its composed of small pellet like pieces.

Apistt_ed you were curious about the water in my area, well I live in Vancouver, BC and from what I understand we have the best water for aquariums. Its naturally 7.0ph and its soft water with low nitrates. the only bad thing is we have a lot of chlorine in our water but thats easy to get rid of.

Thanks again ;)

Geoff

Apistt_ed

that substrate should be more than adequate for your apistos! and welcome... another BC apistofan! There are a few of you from British Columbia in the forum now! welcome welcome! You water conditions shouldn't be a problem at all for either of your choices! Would love to see pictures too, when they're all ready of course.... cheers and best wishes john

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….