• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Apisto - gotten a baenschi

bruiselee

Hi guys.

New to the hobby and gotten myself a pair of Baenischi ( Inka? )

currently having a 90cm x 50cm x 50cm planted tank.

I will think the tank is quite densely planted with many crevices.

Some of the tank mates are

16 Tucano Tetras
10 Weitzmani Tetra ( bought 10, no idea how many remains as they dont come out for me to count)
10 amano shrimps
2 Otocinclus
1 Assassin snail for the pesty snail hitch hikers.
20 red cherry shrimps

Most recent additions are the red cherry shrimps, my idea was for them to breed and create a self sustaining livefood supply for my apisto pair.

I wonder if it works and Is it recommended?

Secondly, I'm also looking forward to my apistos mating and breeding,
what are the foreseeable issues that i will be facing with such a community tank mates?
What can i do to increase the rate of my first breeding success - if they do happen to mate?

Will also appreciate any random tips/help thrown my way for making a smooth sailing apisto journey.

Thanks guys

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
.......and gotten myself a pair of Baenischi ( Inka? )

currently having a 90cm x 50cm x 50cm planted tank. I will think the tank is quite densely planted with many crevices.

Some of the tank mates are

16 Tucano Tetras
10 Weitzmani Tetra ( bought 10, no idea how many remains as they dont come out for me to count)
10 amano shrimps
1 Assassin snail for the pesty snail hitch hikers.
20 red cherry shrimps

Most recent additions are the red cherry shrimps, my idea was for them to breed and create a self sustaining livefood supply for my apisto pair.
Welcome.

Good choice, A. baenschi are a really nice fish. Do you have a picture of the tank, it will give us a bit more idea of the planting, substrate etc.

I'm not sure your stocking list will work, the Tucano & <"Weitzmani tetras"> are really unusual fish, but they need water that is too soft for Assassin snails, Amano shrimps or Cherry Shrimps. I haven't kept either of them (I've only ever seen them as singletons as "bycatch"), but my understanding is that they are also both quite sensitive and delicate fish.

Apistogramma baenschii will definitely <"eat the Cherry shrimps as well">. I'm not sure how they will get on with the Poecilocharaxl, I can see a situation where there is competition for bottom space and/or spawning sites.

Rather than Cherry Shrimps I use <"two other crustaceans as "tank janitors">, they are a lot better at hiding, and don't mind softer water.

cheers Darrel

Nelsonfeelscool

cherry shrimps will just be snacks for the apisto...many apisto keepers in China do that, because they believe Shrimp's astaxanthin is good for Apisto to color up.

bruiselee

This is my tank,
yes it is my intention to let the apistos snack on the cherry shrimps and hopefully they breed fast enough from my 20 of them.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-06-12 at 19.31.36.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-06-12 at 19.31.36.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 304

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
This is my tank,
yes it is my intention to let the apistos snack on the cherry shrimps and hopefully they breed fast enough from my 20 of them.
Nice tank.

I think you'll need to keep the Cherry shrimps in another tank (with harder water) for this to work.

cheers Darrel

bruiselee

I went to get some test kits..

GH 8
Kh 4/5
Ph 6.2 - 7

Change in pH is due to co2
Which will be on for 10 days a day.

Will it be OK for their breeding of my apisto?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I went to get some test kits..

GH 8
Kh 4/5
Ph 6.2 - 7

Change in pH is due to co2
Which will be on for 10 days a day.

Will it be OK for their breeding of my apisto?
I think the water might be too hard, but you would need some-one who has bred A. baenschi to give you a definitive answer.

I'm not a CO2 user, but the changes in pH are a bit strange when you add CO2, they are to do with the change in the CO2 ~ HCO3 ~ pH equilibrium point, they don't effect water chemistry.

Do you have a conductivity meter (TDS meter)?

cheers Darrel

bruiselee

Nope, I do not have a TDS meter... Is there particular reason for checking the TDS?

Hi, yes it's wild.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Nope, I do not have a TDS meter... Is there particular reason for checking the TDS?
Yes, the reason is that as your water gets softer, and lower in nutrients, testing for pH (and nutrient levels) becomes more problematic. To get around this you can use ppm TDS as an indicator of water suitability.

TDS meters all really measure electrical conductivity, which is linearly related to the amount of ions in solution.

Conductivity measurement doesn't tell you what those ions are, just how many there are. If you have a low electrical conductivity you don't have much dGH or dKH, because you don't have much of anything.

The water these fish come from in S. America have really low conductivity levels, often less than 50 microS and sometimes in single figures.

Have a look at <"Test kits for GH and KH">.

cheers Darrel

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

I ´ve bred wild Baenschi several times in water under 100 µS.
Darrel´s way for testing water has worked for me fantastically because I´m a lazy aquarist. ;)

Also, may I suggest a nice layer of leaf litter on the bottom of the tank.
My Baenschi fry really like to dig deep in to the mulm.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….