• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank questions

Mostlydave

I'm starting to set up a new tank I found on craigslist and I have a few questions.

I'm setting up this new tank for German Blue Rams or EBR,

The tank is 36L by 12W and 20H, 38-40 gallon I believe

I'd like to set up the tank natural looking, with a sand substrate and lots of plants. I'd love to have black or dark sand, is there anyway to do that cheaply? I don't want to pay more for substrate than I did for the tank! I do see a lot of people using play sand which I can get locally really cheap.

How much sand should I use I know you see 2lb per gallon for gravel but does that also apply to sand?

The plants I'm looking at now are java fern, water sprite and java moss, I'd like low tech low light plants.

Any advice on the sand/substrate would be welcome, thats the first thing I'll be looking for this tank!

Christople

Play sand from your local home depot of hardware store works fine, and in my experiance two in sand beds work well with the plants.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….