• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new tank mates

chris1805

5 Year Member
Sadly because of a disease i lost a few fish... :(
now i am looking for some new tank mates (which i won't add immediately ofcourse but maybe in about 3-4 weeks)

The size of the tank: 60x40x60 (120L)
Ph: 6.7
kh: 1-2
Tds: 117

Currently the tank contains the following fish:
1 pair A. Agassizii (1m 1f)
1 angel
7 marble hatchers
7 Hemigrammus erythrozonus

I had the follow thoughts:
  1. Adding 10 marble hatchers
  2. Adding 3 angels
  3. adding a pair of the dicrossus and 5 marble hatchers
I would like some advice what you guys think would be the best choice. If you think you know another fish that i should add let me know, suggestions are always welcome :)

Also adding a video from the tank so you guys have an idea about the tank

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Chris (?)+all..

Nice set up!! And some really beautiful agassizii !!

My opinion is that the Angels will get a little to big (approx. 10-15cm in length..+ <20cm in height) for such a small tank.., but it might work anyway.. for a while!!

So my choice would be to add either alternative 1. or 3.
If alt 3.... be sure to follow up the aggression that might (??) occur between the Apistos and the Dicrossus !!
The area/space for a "hunted" fish to escape is not very large in a 60x40cm tank..

And also.. if you add many fishes ..,you probably will add more food...so beware of the load of restproducts that might follow!!
I think you already have a good mix of fishes..:)

If you want to breed the Apistos and manage to save some fry.. the amount of tetras/other fishes may be an important factor to think of..
Many tank mates = many hungry predators..!!:(:(:):)

Thanks for sharing your video!!

/Micke

chris1805

5 Year Member
Hatchers won't come down to eat any fry luckily :) they are already to lazy to pick up there food from the bottum haha
I looked some more in dicrossus and even though you are really lovely that will sadly never work with the apisto's in there.

You are right about the angels, they get to big indeed, was thinking about keeping them and when they are to big to trade them in for smaller ones. But than i realized that that would be as shame because they will start showing there really beauty once they mature.

So will be going for some more marble hatchers i think. But still looking for some other suggestions about what to add :)

Chris

Mol_PMB

The bigger group of marble hatchets would work better in my experience. Like some pencilfish, they can be quite aggressive within the shoal and a larger number means the aggro is shared out more.
My Dicrossus filamentosus are great, relatively peaceful for cichlids and I'm not sure how they would get on with apistos.

chris1805

5 Year Member
yeah i was thinking about the Dicrossus filamentosus i just have no idea how they would go along with the apisto's hopefully someone has some experience with this

Captain Jim

DSCN0754.JPG
New Molowies! Need Borelli strain now!

chris1805

5 Year Member
Also still thinking about adding a pair of A macmesteri. They are from a different type of complex as the agassizii and the agassizii did fine with my rams (which sadly died because of the disease). What do you guys think? is the tank properly decorated for this or should i change a few things?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Either a larger tank or fill the tank so full of plants, leaves and wood that you can't see anything else in it. You are dealing with territorial species and your tank is just too small for 2 pair of dwarf cichlids. Personally I would just add another female and be happy with it. Adding more territorial fish will only cause more stress and problems.

chris1805

5 Year Member
yeah was already considering another female, not another pair tank is really to small, but would that cause a problem, since there is already 1 female in there for about 2 months, won't it cause a lot of problems if i introduce another one? will add some more coconuts if i introduce a new female

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Remove the pair from the tank for a day or 2. Rearrange some of the decor and then add all 3 to the tank at the same time. No one will have an established territory.

chris1805

5 Year Member
Did what you said mike, and added a new female :) The females are showing off to each other but no fighting yet, will probably take a few days before they establish who is the dominant female and who's not.

Also added a cleaning crew! added 3 Otocinclus huaorani , got a new piece of wood as well but that is still soaking in a bucket with water because it still floats. Will upload an video in a day or 2 for you guys to see the result :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….