• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New sp. "Algodon"

F

fishtastic

Hi folks - I'm new here, although not new to fishkeeping.

I picked up some absolutely stunning apistogramma "Algodon" this evening. They're a wild caught pair from Peru, supposedly a newly named/discovered species. They're larger than the other apistos I have, and much more blue and "sparkly" than the others. Very very lovely fish.

Anyone here have any experience with them? I understand that apistos are cave brooders.. is this more or less the case with all of them?

what water conditions do they like? (I've heard pH 6.8 and water very soft)

thanks,

Amy

Randall

5 Year Member
A. sp. "Algodon"

Dear Amy,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apistogramma!

Well, in A. sp. "Algodon," you certainly picked yourself a beauty. These fish are indeed cave spawners and do well in soft, acidic water. Figure GH 2-3, pH 6.0-6.5ish and temp. 78-degrees F. A rich varied diet is recommended.

Good luck with them!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Neil

fishtastic,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

This is a great fish, but i have had better success with them in more acidic and softer water. The main thing with these guys is their aggression. Managing that takes a little effort, but they are well worth it. Here is an article on these guys about my experiences with them.
http://www.apistogramma.com/adm2000.htm
Have fun!
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….