• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Rio Huallaga, Peru Biotope

japes

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

Have been lurking here for a little while but finally decided to post. Over the past few weeks I've been putting together a biotope to house a pair/trio of wild caught Apistogramma baenschi "Inka 50". The tank is a rimless/braceless 20" glass cube on an ADA style stand, lit by a 150W 6500K Halide and filtered by an Eheim Classic 2215 w/ Lily Pipes. Heating is done inline with a Hydor ETH 200W to reduce clutter nside the tank.

Using photographs from Martin and Toms website (http://apisto.sites.no/default.aspx) of collection points in Peru, I scaped the tank with a large amount of driftwood and a handful of Terminalia catappa (Indian Almond) leaves.

The tank is stocked with majority wild-caught specimens.

3x Apistogramma baenschi "Inka 50" (1M 2F, Wildcaught)
10x Nannostomus marginatus (Wildcaught)
5x Otocinclus sp.

The baenschi have only been in the tank for nearly 4 days now but they're settling in nicely, foraging frozen Hikari bloodworm and spiraluna brineshrimp, as well as crushed New Life Spectrum dry foods.

fullvert.jpg

fullfront.jpg

m4.jpg

m1.jpg

m3.jpg

Male.

f1.jpg

girl1.jpg

Female(s).

marg2.jpg

marg5.jpg

Couple of N. marginatus photos.

This is my first serious venture into Apistogramma. I've been keeping South American species, mainly Eartheater colonies for the past few years now and have recently decided to downsize - I must say that I'm really not minding it, and have a 3x18x18" Biotope setup planned for the next few weeks (after I've finished the 215G upgrade for my Satanoperca leucosticta colony)

Cheers,
Ryan.

bigbird

5 Year Member
well done indeed. nice tank and set up. small is indeed wonderful and beautiful. make sure that they do not jump though. have fun and keep us posted. cheers jk :cool:

japes

5 Year Member
make sure that they do not jump though.

Definitely a concern, but I'm keeping the water level about 3" or 7-8cm below the top so hopefully that will be sufficient. There's so much cover in the tank that I'm hoping they won't resort to the surface when they're startled.

I redid the light mounting using a frame connected to the rear of the stand to get the massive plastic chunky thing off the frame of the tank as well.

animalmgc

5 Year Member
nice tank GOOD JOB.I also have some dwarf pencilfish in with my Flame Red Agassizi(courtesy of ApistoDave).Can you supply me with were you're getting your pencil fish wild at

briztoon

5 Year Member
Ryan should have put Australia in his location. The pencilfish we are getting in to the country are wild caught from Peru. Along with the Nannostomus marginatus, we are also getting coral red variants I and II.

lycan92

This aquarium is that measures in centimeters?

you have problems with the aggressiveness of male to female, or female with the male?

the females lay their eggs when you remove the male

beautiful biotope, this perfect, just like the pictures of the habitat that Apistogrammas vi ne net, ta very natural even

Hugs

japes

5 Year Member
This aquarium is that measures in centimeters?

you have problems with the aggressiveness of male to female, or female with the male?

the females lay their eggs when you remove the male

beautiful biotope, this perfect, just like the pictures of the habitat that Apistogrammas vi ne net, ta very natural even

Hugs

Hi hugs,

The aquarium is a 20"/50cm Cube (LWH). Aggression wise, one female is slightly more dominant than the second, but doesn't harass the sub-dominant female. They swim quite happily with the male in the open front section of the tank.

lycan92

thanks for help

and when one of spawning females? as is the climate in aqua?

I was thinking and mount a tank of 48x46x20 (h), so do not know if I would give for a trio of apistos, what do you think from experience?

its already spawned? Hugs!

peterK

5 Year Member
Hi there Ryan
Here Mbay from MFK:wink: You know I really like your tanks, hope to see your a second Dwarf cichlid biotope here:wink:

japes

5 Year Member
Tanks been going well. Had the dominant female spawn with the male, and unfortunately found the second girl dead the next day.

01.jpg

Here's mum with a few fry, there's at least 15 actively being herded around the tank, with no attention being paid to them by the male or the Pencilfish. She's doing a fantastic job with them, and they've been freeswimming for probably 4 days now.

steph

5 Year Member
Hi Ryan

Welcome to this great forum! and good to see you getting into apistos too :)

Those baenschi look great and are one of my favourites. Sorry to hear about your second female, spawning females can be quite aggressive - I keep a trio in a 100cm tank and I reckon the two females use all the space. They make great mothers most of the time and the fry care is fabulous to watch, my female will look after them for a good month or so.

The tank is lovely too :) and the photos fantastic.

cheers

steph

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….