• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New ortegai

JoseF

My local fish store in GB Wisconsin was able to intercept or purloin a japan-bound shipment of WC ortegai and I picked up a pair from them. I had a male and female of perhaps same species for 6 weeks that were not bonding so exchanged. My previous
BE2CA17E-0C86-42FE-B4E3-9D39C7398B7A.jpeg
39F4F68E-A82A-4855-9C76-0EFB24923A61.jpeg
pair were internet ordered also WC. My LFS ones had more blue coloration and males with a diagonal stripe on eyes. My male doesn’t have much blue. Hoping they will breed and past 2 weeks they have started to show interest in each other. So many ortegai listed on Toms website. Wondering what opinion is on these? Thanks!
BE109A10-1CD3-4568-96C3-22DE24AC84BB.jpeg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
So many ortegai listed on Toms website. .........Wondering what opinion is on these? Thanks!
I can't pass comment on exactly where they sit in terms of species, and they aren't a fish I've kept,but, judging by her colour, she looks like she has spawn/fry.

cheers Darrel

JoseF

You are correct about the female she likely had eggs a couple of weeks ago but the male was not interested at that time and do not think he made the commitment to parenting. I don't think she has eggs now because she is not guarding the cave... perhaps soon as the are now showing interest in each other.
On toms apistogramma site there are a87 through a92 Ortegai species. I'm not sure what the current accepted standard is. My current ortegai seem to look like a91 papagai from his website

JoseF

A 91 is the holotype species of A. ortegai. The others are different species visually and genetically.
Thank you Mike. From the pictures do you have an opinion of which species mine might represent? My male hasn't quite gotten to his full adult size or coloration. He has probably added a third to his size in the past few week. If I am fortunate enough to share the next generation with the community via LFS then I wanted to take the best guess as to what the offspring might represent. Much obliged.

JoseF

Thank you very much Mike! I just read some of your earlier post on A91. My female seems to be guarding her cave again so fingers crossed. Interesting pair. Male seems terrified of her at this point.
921D4C7C-6593-4E52-8A3B-72853CA0BCAB.jpeg

Mats

5 Year Member
Hej. Har haft denna fisk tills för ett år sedan då den sista dog. En trevlig fisk.
Mvh Mats

JoseF

Thank you Mats. If I am able to get fry I will post a picture. Funny to see the female take charge in the tank now that she is in brood.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….