• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here from New Zealand

Joe

Hello Dwarf Cichlid enthusiasts,
My name is Joe and I live in Blenheim, New Zealand. I am 13 years old. I decided to join this forum because I, like many, have become addicted to Dwarf Cichlids! My first dwarfs were a pair of Pelvicachromis pulcher, which I liked but ended up giving away, because these particular ones weren't very colourful and I found them rather boring. My interest grew from there, and I have kept Laetacara curviceps, and bred them successfully, but they sadly passed on, along with my beautiful Apistogramma trifasciata pair, after a columnaris outbreak in my tank. I then decided to have a break from cichlids, and just kept tetras, rasboras and catfish. When I started looking for more dwarfs again after a while, I had trouble finding any of the species I wanted. I was browsing the FNZAS forums when I saw an advertisment that Apistogramma viejita 'Red Neck' had been imported into New Zealand. I was eager to get some, and I asked a shop in Christchurch to order some in for me. Other people had also got some of these fish, and they were actually ID'd as A. macmasteri. Still a beautiful fish. I was told that it was unlikely I would get any females, as most of the fish from that batch were males. Although amazingly, I ended up with one male and three females! Hopefully I will manage to successfully breed them. Here's some pics. Enjoy!!

apistogrammamacmasteri0.jpg

apistogrammamacmasteri0.jpg

macmasteri059.jpg

macmasteri069.jpg

macmasteri079.jpg

macmasteri080.jpg

macmasteri081.jpg

macmasteri084.jpg

macmasteri086.jpg

Joe

Thanks!

I did a water change on their tank yesterday. The new water that I put back in was from a bucket outside that had peat moss soaking in it, so make it soft and to give it tannins. Hopefully they will breed well for me. The temperature is about 27C.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Hi Joe.

Great to see you over here.
IMO 27c is a fraction high but other than that those fish are lovely. Very best of luck with them.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum, lots of knowlegable Apisto keepers here to help you with any problems.. Your fish look great, now that you have the rare(In your country) females you should really get these breeding, raise up the fry and make yourself some good pocket money..

Goodluck with them.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….