• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New genus of West African cichlid

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, I'm not a krib expert, but Dr. Lamboj is a careful taxonomist. He lists some structural differences from Pelvicachromis. These and the fact that the humilus-group/Wallaceochromis are from a different faunal realm (separated from Pelvicachromis by the Guinea region), my guess is that they actually are separate, sibling genera.

philip wood

5 Year Member
So has Roloffi got a new genera then ? and if not why. Surrly Enigmatichromis and Roloffi must be of the same Genera.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As far as I know, Pv. roloffi is still considered a Pelvicachromis, at least Fishbase still lists it as one. Yes, it's geographically isolated from the other members of the genus. I wouldn't be surprised if it's removed from the genus as some later date, but I don't know if it will be added to either of the other krib genera or not.

gerald

5 Year Member
Sometimes a new genus gets created for a new species description, but then it takes many years before people bother to publish papers reassigning the previously-described and obviously related species into that genus. This seems to be the case with Lamprologus and Neolamprologus. In some cases, arguments about the validity of the new genus is part of the delay.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
So has Roloffi got a new genera then ? and if not why. Surrly Enigmatichromis and Roloffi must be of the same Genera.

VERY similar but I believe how the eggs are laid is different. Pelvicachromis eggs are laid tightly against the cave surface while Enigmatochromis eggs are on extended threads, they actually wave at you with the mildest of water movement! Enough of a difference to a separate genus (although I'm sure there are other factors as well).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….