• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apisto Tank - General Questions :)

Penthrox

Hello all!

I know these questions have probably been asked a million times but I am just trying to establish some ground rules to follow before I start up my new tank.

Just some background on my previous fish keeping. I have been keeping fish for around 18 years now. I wanted a challenge around 5 or so years ago; so I went over to Shrimp. Here is Australia (at least where I live) we have terrible mains water. My ph is 8.6 out of the tap and my TDS is around 500. Heavy chlorine and chloramines do not help the issue.

I purchased an RO Unit to keep my shrimp happy and grew an understanding of how soft water fish thrive in the correct conditions. This lead me to start keeping discus in my 5x2x2. I had a great time keeping them and even watching them breed but unfortunately I had to move house and there was just no room for a big tank. I have a rack system now that holds 3 x 40cmx40cmx40cm cubes and they will be used now to keep one pair of Apistos per tank.

So I have currently set one of the tanks set up with ADA Malaya and that is keeping the parameters in check, however as I research more and more I am believing that sand would be a better choice.

I also have around 30 or so IAL in the tank already for leaf matter and cover. I have a pretty much unlimited supply of Oak Leaves from a large tree at my Fathers house. Question being the ones that I have saved up from my shrimp food were picked up from the ground and then washed/cleaned and run through a dehydrator. They are a very pale green and not brown but I have had no issues feeding them to my shrimp. Do you think they would be ok in the tank for the apistos? I have attached a photo so you can see them.

Oak1.jpg

I will be starting off with a pair of apistogramma macmasteri super red as they were the easiest for my LFS to acquire.

Any any all suggestions are always appreciated!

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….