• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need Help: Etia nguti

lonlangione

5 Year Member
I have a pair of Etia nguti in a 30 gallon tank. The male is 3"+ and the female is 2"+. I put the female in a 30 gallon next to the male for 10 days before putting her in with him. Their tank has lost of rock / caves and flat river stone and live plants. I put her in the tank with the male a week ago and they hide constantly. I even watch the tank from another isle to see if they come out when I am not around. They are not eating worth a damn. So this weekend I bought a bag of (8) full grown tank raised zebra danios for dithers and put them in. The danios are doing great. The nguti are still hiding. I saw these guys at That Fish Place 3 months ago and they were in a 40 gallon. They were in with some rainbowfish. The male had the female pinned in the upper corner of the tank. I suggested they get her out before he killed her. Apparently they did because when I went back for them 3 months later the female was in one tank and the male in another. So I bought them.

I am going to put almond leaves in tonight but I really don't think they are going to make a difference. Anyone have any suggestions?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Etia that I had, a long time ago, were shy at first and took a while to settle in. Schooling dithers did not seem to affect them, but sharing space with other cichlids did. I started with a group of six 2" wild fish in a 75 gallon tank. When they never came out, I put in six Hemichromis sp. 'Moanda' (a relatively peaceful red jewel) and about a dozen juvenile 1" Chromidotilapia guentheri. All that action got the Etia going. Within a day they were schooling with the guentheri and dodging the jewels. If you can find them, you might try some of the Tilapia sp. 'Mamfe' that were around a few years ago in huge numbers. That would be a species the Etia might recognize instinctively.

I am not sure if the almond leaf will accomplish anything. The Mamfe River is a pretty large stream with clear water flow. Where the Etia are collected is well oxygenated. If your temperature is over 76, you might try cooling it down a bit and adding aeration and current.

What are you trying to feed them? In nature they are primarily plant detritus feeders, so some green is good.

lonlangione

5 Year Member
First off, I really don't know how I posted this in the buy / sell thread. I thought I had posted it in the old world thread so I apologize for that. I have been feeding them cichlid pellets, frozen bloodworms and live black worms. I will try the green foods. Maybe I can pick up some of the Repashy grazing food from Rachel. I didn't put the almond leaves in with them and I won't. I am going to put a small powerhead mid tank tonight. I will also be doing a water change with some RO water tonight. I know where I can get some moanda's and I will try that as well. If you can move this post to the proper thread, please do. As always thanks for the info Ted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….