• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis splendens?

chch888

5 Year Member
Hi, i am a dwarf cichlid fans from Taiwan,

i just picked one fish from several female Nanochromis parilus, but i am not sure if it's splendens or teugelsi.

I need help to identify this male Nanochromis, many thanks.

view

view

gerald

5 Year Member
My guess is the upper fish is N. splendens and the lower fish is N. parilus. There is a LOT of variation within species in the "nudiceps group", and I'm not convinced that the characteristics used in the species descriptions by Roberts & Stewart (1976) are reliable, especially since N. teugelsi wasn't recognized until 30 years later, and the geographic boundaries of the "species" in this group have not been well defined.

I have a male "splendens" who has developed black dorsal markings like N. teugelsi. Ekona's pictures of him a year ago, before the black markings developed are here: http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/nanochromis-splendens-wc.18431/. The female died awhile back.

BTW -- Nice hulstaerti barbs too!

Roberts, T. R. and Stewart, D. J. (1976). "An ecological and systematic survey of fishes in the rapids of the lower Zaire or Congo River" Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard vol 147(6): 239-317.

chch888

5 Year Member
My guess is the upper fish is N. splendens and the lower fish is N. parilus. There is a LOT of variation within species in the "nudiceps group", and I'm not convinced that the characteristics used in the species descriptions by Roberts & Stewart (1976) are reliable, especially since N. teugelsi wasn't recognized until 30 years later, and the geographic boundaries of the "species" in this group have not been well defined.

thanks gerald, greatly appreciated for your help on the related link and article.

i am now downloading the paper of Roberts et al. for studying. i also believe the male fish is splendens.
while the female is parilus or not, i am still not sure because it's different from those other females in the same tank.( imported from Germany,
claimed WC N. parilus). the body shape is more slender and the cheek color is slightly in yellow orange but not blue as others.

and for Barbus hulstaerti, yes, you are right, i got several pairs weeks ago. the three dots of the recent male of hulstaerti are not distinct,
two of them are usually fused together. maybe because the distribution area are different.
IMG_0250_c.jpg
IMG_0077_c.jpg
the first and second photos were taken in this year.
the third one were the fishes imported at 6 years ago.

Attachments

• PICT7346_n.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 733

gerald

5 Year Member
I have a suspicion that the slender body described in wild N. splendens may just be a developmental result of living in faster water -- not necessarily a genetic difference. They likely expend LOTS more energy to acquire food than Nano's living in slower streams. My "splendens" male is no longer slim-bodied like that "classic" photo of splendens on the AMNH Congo River Project website (link below). His body proportions are now about the same as typical parilus or teugelsi. It's also possible that very few live long enough in the wild to get the deeper adult body shape. Maybe the AMNH crew caught all 1-yr old splendens ... just guessing ... or else maybe my fish is not really splendens. I need to shoot an updated photo of him ... apologies in advance it will NOT be anywhere as good as Ekona's! http://research.amnh.org/vz/ichthyology/congo/cichlidLIVE/index.html

afra

5 Year Member
Both of the female Splendens that I have show orange cheek marks. Gerald, your male looks very similar to mine but the female in the pic does not look like the females here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….