• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis Search

R

Rob M

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm just setting my tank back up after two years of not having it. I have had Tanganyikans for about 26 years! Wow that looks awful when I write that. Well of course I've had other experiements in between and even a few years before I discovered tanganyikans. Goldfish, Live bearers, South Americans, Saltwater, (never any brackish). Of course I'm a biotope nut, so everything has to match.

Problem One: I've always wanted planted tanks, and there aren't many plants found in lake Tanganyika. Solution: West Africans (Nearly as good) I've had the Pelvicachromis, Distochodus (which I don't recommend if you like plants) 3 speceis of the family Alestiidae, Steatocranus, Lamprologus, synodonts, etc, etc, etc.

Problem Two: Even when I lived in the midwest, I had a very difficult time finding nanochromis, now I live in freshwater hell. Try and find decent freshwater fish in Southern California!

Not that I can make this long story short at this point, but I need some firm leads to find these fish. Nanochromis that is. At this point, I'd take anything in that genus. I have considered driving upstate to get them, but that would make me even more nuts. Keep in mind I'm in the Long Beach area.

Thanks for any help offered.

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Lax

I envy you. You have one of the biggest airports in the world to import into. When I lived in Fresno (a real hell) I would drive down to LAX to import fish from Below Water. He has some great stuff some times. Otherwise Toyin Ojo at Rehoboth usually has some nice W.A. stuff. I have a male Nanochromis sabinae you can have if you have a female to pair up with him...
Steve

R

Rob M

Thanks!

I'll look into those sources.

As for the N. Sabinae, I don't have a female, but am working on it. :) I'll let you know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….