• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

nannacara aureocephalus

fanning88

I keep nannacara anomala and nannacara taenia. Both of mine do just fine in my regular tap water. I keep the taenia in a pretty densely planted tank and they spawn regularly. I haven't pulled any fry out so they always get eaten but I think I'm going to start pulling them and raising some.

anewbie

I keep nannacara anomala and nannacara taenia. Both of mine do just fine in my regular tap water. I keep the taenia in a pretty densely planted tank and they spawn regularly. I haven't pulled any fry out so they always get eaten but I think I'm going to start pulling them and raising some.
Different people have different types of 'tap water' without giving the specificis of your tap water (kh,gh,tds) it is hard to make much of this statement.

fanning88

Different people have different types of 'tap water' without giving the specificis of your tap water (kh,gh,tds) it is hard to make much of this statement.
My ph is around 8.5. Alot of people think you can't keep certain dwarf south American cichlids in harder water but I always have. I don't think all that other stuff matters as much as alot of people say it does. Tds,kh, it will matter for some certain wild caught fish with really low ph but I have been keeping "soft water" fish for 30 years and never pay attention to all that stuff. My point is most fish can actually live and breed in a wide range of water parameters.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
It really depends on the species. A lot of folks on this forum are interested in wilds or recent generation wild-type forms. But even in those cases, there's a huge difference based on what the particular species have adapted to. Both Nannacara anomala and Nannacara taenia <are known to tolerate> <harder water>.

Could you keep a blackwater species in hard water? You certainly could. People often find (as I have) that breeding is unsuccessful until they soften the water. And the effects on behavior are almost immediate.

There are certainly exceptions, and if something works for you, great. No one's saying you can't keep a blackwater fish in harder water. But I think it's reasonable to say that in most cases, you'll see a broader range of natural behaviors the more closely you can approximate the natural habitat.

MacZ

It really depends on the species. A lot of folks on this forum are interested in wilds or recent generation wild-type forms. But even in those cases, there's a huge difference based on what the particular species have adapted to. Both Nannacara anomala and Nannacara taenia <are known to tolerate> <harder water>.

Could you keep a blackwater species in hard water? You certainly could. People often find (as I have) that breeding is unsuccessful until they soften the water. And the effects on behavior are almost immediate.

There are certainly exceptions, and if something works for you, great. No one's saying you can't keep a blackwater fish in harder water. But I think it's reasonable to say that in most cases, you'll see a broader range of natural behaviors the more closely you can approximate the natural habitat.
Couldn't have phrased it better.

And the effects on behavior are almost immediate.
But I think it's reasonable to say that in most cases, you'll see a broader range of natural behaviors the more closely you can approximate the natural habitat.
My experience and the reason for my approach.

Here in Germany you often have people saying you can keep any fish in any water and that's that. Is it possible, just for holding: Yes, for the most part. Would I recommend it? Not in my wildest dreams.
My experience is softwater fish do far better in soft water, so I don't care if anyone is put off and maybe decides to not keep a certain species, the wellbeing of the animals is more important to me than the wishes of a beginner who will likely not only have less than ideal water but will probably make other mistakes as well, ending up in losses. Losses that don't need to happen.

I have been keeping "soft water" fish for 30 years
I've heard that more often than you can imagine. Just comes across a bit strange from someone who put in their age with 34, sporting a nickname that points to this age being correct. But ok... you do you.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hey all!
Here’s roughly the new layout. All wood is in place. Plant placement too..
It basically just needs fish and a bit of leaflitter…
I might replace the mayacara with cyperus helferi if i go with the “Kaw” colorform, as i found out it might origin from the big marsh area that river Kaw runs by. -and i think grass like plants would fit better in that case. I also have a few nympheas to throw in the mix…

-sorry for the murky water and dirty glass.

-r

60066FC2-7DF4-4129-8A26-7D0D73968924.jpeg
3588228A-ED97-4501-BA51-C03228C806DE.jpeg
189DB0EB-B30A-4B63-851F-4D6C0144234E.jpeg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrothgar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….