• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nannacara Aureocephalus

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
N. aureocephalus can live in most water, so long as it is not too hard or alkaline. Reproduction is more difficult than N. anomala. N. aureocephalus requires moderately acid and moderately soft water. If you can breed species like A. bitaeniata, then you should be able to breed N. aureocephalus.

M.J

N. aureocephalus can live in most water, so long as it is not too hard or alkaline. Reproduction is more difficult than N. anomala. N. aureocephalus requires moderately acid and moderately soft water. If you can breed species like A. bitaeniata, then you should be able to breed N. aureocephalus.

Thanks for your advise. I am trying to breed this pair. but they seem to be hard to accept Brine shirimp for their food. I will try other feeding.

M.J

Your fish doesn't look like Nannacara aureocephalus to me. But maybe this is an other population than mine ?
Have a look at this thread....

Thanks for your information. Tom.C -I often visit your wonderful web site.^^

Yes, your fish on the link dosen't look like mine.
I am not sure they are same species. but I think the pattern of my fish is more closed to N.aureocephalus than yours.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll put in my 2¢. Technically, M.J's fish match that of the original description for N. aureocephalus. The male seems rather young (small?). Most of the photos tend to be dark. They show little contrast on the scales. Still the flank scales are light in the center and dark at the edges, typical for N. aureocephalus. I wonder if better (lighter and more 'constrasty') photos would help. There is always a chance that they are something new, but I doubt it. I'm guessing that M.J lives in Korea. The site is written in Korean. I'm also guessing that these fish were exported from Japan. The Japanese are quite knowledgeable about the fish that come into their country. If they thought that this fish was something other than N. aureocephalus, then they would sell them as a new species for a great deal more money.:wink:

M.J

I'll put in my 2¢. Technically, M.J's fish match that of the original description for N. aureocephalus. The male seems rather young (small?). Most of the photos tend to be dark. They show little contrast on the scales. Still the flank scales are light in the center and dark at the edges, typical for N. aureocephalus. I wonder if better (lighter and more 'constrasty') photos would help. There is always a chance that they are something new, but I doubt it. I'm guessing that M.J lives in Korea. The site is written in Korean. I'm also guessing that these fish were exported from Japan. The Japanese are quite knowledgeable about the fish that come into their country. If they thought that this fish was something other than N. aureocephalus, then they would sell them as a new species for a great deal more money.:wink:

Yes, Mike. I am a Korean. I remember that you stayed in Korea before during your military service.^^ -I sent you budda temple photo a few years ago that was near by U.S army camp. You remember that ?

My fish not came from Japan. it was exported from Taiwan.
As you said, if they were exported from Japan as something new N.aureocephalus, its price could be more expensive.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, Mike. I am a Korean. I remember that you stayed in Korea before during your military service.^^ -I sent you budda temple photo a few years ago that was near by U.S army camp. You remember that ?

Yes, I remember. Beautiful photos of a beautiful area of a wonderful land.

My fish not came from Japan. it was exported from Taiwan.
As you said, if they were exported from Japan as something new N.aureocephalus, its price could be more expensive.
The exporters in Taiwan are just as savvy as those in Japan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….