• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N. Beckfordi as breeding tank dither?

Aarontg98

Hi guys, it’s been great lurking around the forum. So much information available and it’s only served to grow my love for these fascinating creatures.

Recently I’ve acquired a pair of A. Panduro and put them in a 12 gallon along with a pair of N. Beckfordi serving as dithers. The Beckfordi pair was housed previously in a community tank with another pair and a couple of male Trifasciatas from an old spawn. The dominant male Beckfordi was really aggressive, basically chasing down every fish in sight. I’ve since moved him and his chosen female into the Panduro breeding tank, thinking that the more aggressive and robust Panduros would be a better match for my little ‘terrorist’. I know well-known hobbyists like Mike Wise swear by Beckfordi. Just wondering if this behaviour is common and whether the male will ‘mellow’ out with no more competition in the tank. Also I would like to know how opportunistic they’ll be as dithers when it comes to fry. Thanks!

Samala

Never had an issue with beckfordi eating any cichlid fry. (That only includes two Apisto though: borellii and cf. eunotus orangeschwanz.)

However, I consider them quite safe with other fish. Were the other fish they chased similar size or shape? I've never seen them go after anything larger and certainly not any cichlids.

Their sparring and spawning behavior within the species can be intense in smaller environments. If I intend to keep them in anything under 20gal, I try to get only females. I have had 'terrorist' males of this species a few times and they are usually much better behaved in a larger tank with many females. So they did mellow in a sense.

Curious to hear other experiences.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Pencilfish, believe it or not, are fairly closely related to the genus Hoplias (Wolffish) and can show similar aggressive behavior. Fortunately they are small. Pencils are not schooling fish like many other tetras and males can become territorial. N. beckfordi is reported to attack young apisto fry so I tend to use other species as dither/target fish. Try the 2 pencils with your panduros because panduro form spawning pairs. This means both parents will guard fry.

MacZ

Pencilfish, believe it or not, are fairly closely related to the genus Hoplias (Wolffish) and can show similar aggressive behavior. Fortunately they are small. Pencils are not schooling fish like many other tetras and males can become territorial. N. beckfordi is reported to attack young apisto fry so I tend to use other species as dither/target fish. Try the 2 pencils with your panduros because panduro form spawning pairs. This means both parents will guard fry.

So what tetras are to piranha are pencilfish to wolffish... :D

MacZ

More or less. Have you ever seen the teeth of neon? They put those of most sharks to shame!

I have. I don't call my three monster cardinals mini-piranha for no reason. The way they go for food (or carrion, so it happens to be in my tank.) - it shows. Dearless little eating machines even steal artemia from my Apistos mouths.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….