• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My 64 Litre South American Biotope

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Finally got my tank pretty much just how I want it so thought I would share some pics with you.

Currently housing a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides Orange Flash, 5 x Bronze Corydoras and 6 x Neon Tetra.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Could I move some fry on their own to a grow out tank? And leave some fry with the parents?

Psycho74

5 Year Member
IMO the fry will be too small to remove from the tank. By the time the fry are wriggles the tetra/corys would have gobbled them up!

davidjp1982

Donating Member
It's not designed to be a breeding tank - just thinking ahead to if they do possibly have fry ;)

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I think Mike would be pleased to know I gave my corys and neons away to a friend today so the tank now soley holds the apisto pair :)

JD.

beautiful apistos

if you have no other fish could even think about putting another female and so may have more opportunities to breed, if you dare watch the decoration so that they can make good their territory.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Thanks yes I have removed all other fish now and am currently experiencing the first spawn - only 10 fry at the moment but really fun experience.

DanielG

Yeah...if anyone is interested..

My original Agassizi pair had laid some eggs but over time i noticed that the eggs began to disappear little by little.
I am just now finding out that the tetras and amano shrimp are probably to blame. Rookie mistakes :rolleyes:

Bekateen

5 Year Member
WP_000781.jpg
My agassizii spawn in a community tank. The females nest in either terra cotta breeding caves or segments of PVC pipe, capped at one end. I leave the mom and eggs in the community tank until the eggs hatch. When the fry are wrigglers, I lift the entire breeding structure out of the aquarium (with mom and the fry in it, plus whatever water is trapped in their cave) and I transfer the whole thing to another aquarium (with no other fish), where mom can raise her fry in peace. I've done this three times now, and so far the mom has never responded by eating her own fry. So it seems to be a workable way of coping with a spawn in a community tank... Okay, let's just not mention the "elephant in the room" in that photo - it belongs to my son; we share the tank. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….