• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moving tank to an new place

Cookie_apisto

I going to move to an new place in two weeks. Do I need to replace all of the bio filter media in my Eheim 2215 and how much old water do I need to keep? Also I am going to replace the substrates.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I going to move to an new place in two weeks. Do I need to replace all of the bio filter media in my Eheim 2215.......
You should be able to keep the filter "cycled", you just need the filter media to remain damp and have access to oxygen. Because it is Eheim Classic with, a bottom hose inlet, you can't easily keep a small amount of water contained in the filter while you move it. I might try taking the head and bottom hose off, pouring off 95% of the water away and then placing a wet tea towel over the media, you don't want the towel to be a tight fit, because you need gas exchange.
........how much old water do I need to keep? Also I am going to replace the substrates.
The water doesn't have much in the way of microbes in it, so you only need to retain a nominal amount.

What is the substrate? I use sand and I have the same sand I was using twenty years ago, my guess is I'll still have the same sand until I stop keeping tanks.

cheers Darrel

dwightparker

If the water is good with no ammonia or nitrites, and acceptable nitrates, with good pH, hardness, etc., I would buy a bunch of 5 gallon buckets with lids and keep 50% of tank volume if possible.... that's just me though, not sure it is necessary at all..... I think filter and media and everything that has beneficial bacteria on it is more important, which can be kept wet and moved in the 5 gallon buckets with your water...... good luck with your move.....if I had small gravel or other "wrong" substrate, I would switch to sand as well, but I wouldn't personally change sand for sand just because of color though.....

Larry Rogers

5 Year Member
pour the water from the filter into a plastic tote, take the trays from the filter and put them in the bottom of the tote, pour any loose substrate from the filter in the tote and cover the tote, rinse the filter with tank water and clean while you have it apart and put it in a separate tote. Take the tank substrate and put in buckets and rinse with tank water then drain and cver tightly. And as suggested save some of the tank water to reset tank with. Try not to use any chlorinated water when you reset tank and the tank should return to cycle in two days. Keep an eye on nitrogen and pH and change water if needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….