• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moving Dicrossus Maculatus Fries from tank

Apisto_Dezign

5 Year Member
I was wondering if I should move the fries from the main tank into a smaller tank to grow them out. This is my second batch which I think from the first batch when I tried to move them I think I might of killed the first bunch by using a dropper. Well now I have about 30-40 fries again in my 55 gallon tank w/ my altums and I was seeing if I should move these into a 5 gallon or just get a seperator and split the tank. They fries has been there for the past week and I have been feeding them micro worms so I'm hoping these will turn out really well. Any suggestions from anyone w/ experience on moving apisto fries would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I leave my fry with their mother for at least 1-2 months. At this age/size, they are hardier. I also find that the fry grow faster when they are with their mother. The mother, after all, is there to protect them and guide them to food. Without their mother, the fry tend to hide out more and not seek food as actively. I use breeding tanks, however. Community tank situations are more of a problem.

Apisto_Dezign

5 Year Member
I'll try that w/ this batch and see what happens to them. Well if all fails I just get a tank divider and put the f/m there so next time around for when they breed I'll just have the female w/ the fries on the other side of the tank. I just don't wanna move the pair due to I don't want to cause them to stress. Thanks for the reply.

Jholden

5 Year Member
Mike how long do you leave the male in the breeding tank? I leave my fry with the mother also but I have a hard time removing the male. I dunno I guess I just feel like he should be there. So the problem I run into is the pair will start breeding about once a month like clock work and the parents will then start chasing away/killing the previous generation of young. Then I'm afraid of removing the male at the risk of having my female become egg bound with complications. I guess I need to start removing the male b/c I'm running out of tank space at this point. SO at what point should I remove the male? I like to keep him in there for at least a little while , I like observing both parents playing a role in the breeding process.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the male has only 1 female or no dither fish to "play" with, then I usually remove him when he gets too "pushy" or when the female has him driven into a corner of the tank. I usually remove the fry once they get to 1/2" / 12mm. this gives the female some time to recover from breeding. I'll even keep a pair separate for a few months just of recuperation reasons. This allows the female to have a longer life of breeding. It isn't unusual for females to breed for 2 - 3 years or more in this way. I have a female A. cf eunotus (Huanta) with fry right now. I collected her in Peru in November 2008. I also have a female A. agassizii from Leticia, Colombia with 40 juveniles that I collected the same month. Both of these fish were mature females when collected, so both are at least 2 years old. I don't think I ever had a female become egg bound. Usually eggs not laid are re-absorbed.

Jholden

5 Year Member
cool, good to know and good ideas.. I've been struggling with how I am going to start regulating spawns in my tanks for some time now. Thanks that helps a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….