• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mouth Stuck Open

HookedOnFish_MI

I noticed yesterday that one of my Cacatuoides’ mouth seems to be stuck open. She seems as active as usual, and I see her eating a few flakes today (New Life Spectrum Optimum). Any idea what could have caused this, and if it’s treatable? I have her in a 10 gallon with another female, 3 neons and 2 Ottos. I’ve had the apistos for about a week and a half and using the 10 gallon temporarily until they are a little larger to put with my 2 males in a 75.
A5E021AC-91B7-448C-A1AB-F2A46374CFCD.jpeg
1ADB21AE-B23A-4A7A-904D-033F5683475C.jpeg
E5369A38-593D-430B-B256-B242FA04DCF1.jpeg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
She probably tried to mouth a piece of gravel that was too large. This is one reason why sand is recommended as a substrate for apistos. There is nothing you can do for her except hope she can unlock the jaw bones. Any assistance from you will almost certainly break her jaw. If she starts wasting away, which commonly happens, then it would be best to euthanize her.

MacZ

Sadly, I have to agree with Mike. Had a similar case with Labidochromis once and just last year with a cardinal tetra. The cichlid hat to be put down, the tetra managed to unlock the jaw after a few hours.

HookedOnFish_MI

Sadly, I have to agree with Mike. Had a similar case with Labidochromis once and just last year with a cardinal tetra. The cichlid hat to be put down, the tetra managed to unlock the jaw after a few hours.
Thank you both for the replies. Hopefully it’s a good sign that I have seen her able to close her jaws a few times, but only for a brief moment. I will swap out the gravel for sand, like I did with my 75.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….