• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing juveniles

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi all!

Quick question...
Is it okay to mix juveniles. I have 6-7 baenschis i was wondering if they could go with my bitaeniatas. They are around 1-2cm. Long.?

-r

rasmusW

5 Year Member
i forgot to mention, there is around 10 bitaeniatas and they should share a 54 liter, untill the bitaenitas are big enough to be sold together with the grownups.

-r

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Only major problem is if you can separate the species before they are fully mature and you want to sell/trade them. I once traded apistos with a well-known/respected apisto breeder who mixed juveniles in grow-out tanks at times. When the fish came in, it included the species I wanted plus a female A. borellii. Even I am not immune to this. Back in the last century I was auctioning off some A. eunotus (Pink Apisto) and Anomalochromis thomasi (Guinea). When showing bags of fish to potential buyers, one said "Are you sure these are apistos?" When I looked there was a Dwarf Jewel mixed with the Pinks. It must have jumped tanks and I didn't notice!

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike!

I see your point. Luckily, i found a better solution. My lfs is buying all the baenschi.

-r

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….