• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing Dwarf cichlid species

JaketheSnake13

Hi, I am planning on getting a 33 gallon long aquarium. 48x12x12. I will put lots of caves, plants, driftwood to create visual barriers. I wanted to stock 4 different male dwarf cichlids. I am interested in the following:

Kribensis

Bolivian ram

Apistogramma Agassizii fire red

Haven’t decided on this one, need some help. I like Apistogramma Baenschi, panduro, and viejita red neck

Also will put a school of cories and maybe 2 schools of dither fish

Could mixing all males of different species work since they all look different? Please give my some advice on this, if this exact combo doesn’t work what could be some alternatives, I don’t want breeding and minimal aggression. Also, what would be a good choice of dither fish for this setup?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE!!

Tlindsey

Welcome aboard:)

I am also new to the forum. I personally wouldn't add the Kribensis I have a few and they imo are too aggressive for the Bolivian not too sure about the Apistogramma tbh.

Happyfins

I also would not mix with kribensis. Apart from it just looking wrong having Africans and South Americans together IMO a single male kribensis will likely look drab. They really only look good in breeding dress unlike apistogramma which look good all year round at least with the domestic strains.

JaketheSnake13

Ok, if I remove the Kribensis what is another apistogramma that looks different from the others on my list that you would recommend. Would you still recommend keeping the Bolivian? Also, any advice on the dither fish for this size tank

Happyfins

I keep Bolivians with agasizzi and the agasizzi give them a hard time on occasion. Unfortunately the same goes for bolivian rams as for kribensis. They look drab as single fish but do look stunning when in breeding dress. They are also not too fond of plant thickets but prefer gravel/sand with a flat stone.I think if you structure your tank with open space and plant thicket you can keep them together no problem. I would get 4 bolivians and wait till a pair develops then remove the 2 extras. They are not very aggressive breeders and pretty hopeless parents in a community setting so you won't have excess babies. Together with a pair of bolivians you could keep 1 or 2 male apistos. I have found agasizzi can be quite mean to romantic bolivians, macmasteri can be quite mean toward individual fish (in my case my male had it in for the female nannacara anomala, didn't mind the male nannacara nor any other fish). No experience with baenschi. Panduro I have found to be rather peaceful ( I have a breeding pair in a small tank together with some rainbowfish). The most easy going is my male cacatuoides. Happy to stand corrected on the apistogramma personalities. In general it is a sign of a mature aquarist to have less species in one tank rather than a collection of everything available IMO.

JaketheSnake13

Thx for the advice, but I really didn’t want a pair cause I hear that when they pair up they claim a territory and can cause harm to other fish when they enter it, also do not want any babies. I understand that most people recommend to just keep a couple pairs in this tank but I have read of people successfully mixing all male apistogramma and other dwarf cichlids without aggression and loss of color. (not including Kribensis) I will still consider what you said but I would like to try something different if it can work out. Also what would be two good types of dither fish? Thx for the help

Happyfins

IMO=in my opinion
Good dithers: 1. White clouds 2. Small rainbow fish 3. Guppies/Endlers 4. Tetras (depending on species) 5. Rasbora
Anything really if you're not breeding.
In regards to dwarf cichlids; Have you considered a Nannacara anomala male. I find them great little cichlids and males are very peaceful.

JaketheSnake13

I just searched them up and it seems that most of them are kind of plain except for a few. I still think I like the apistogrammas better. Would it be a good idea to gett a pair of Bolivians, cause they are usually peaceful, and 2 different apisto’s in there. That is only if the combination of 4 different species doesn’t work. I like lots of tetras so if I were to put some in what would be the best?

Happyfins

I just searched them up and it seems that most of them are kind of plain except for a few. I still think I like the apistogrammas better. Would it be a good idea to gett a pair of Bolivians, cause they are usually peaceful, and 2 different apisto’s in there. That is only if the combination of 4 different species doesn’t work. I like lots of tetras so if I were to put some in what would be the best?

That was my suggestion in post #5. problem is you will have difficulty buying a pair hence my suggestion to buy 4 and wait till one pair forms.

JaketheSnake13

ok, I think I might do that. Also, I think I might change the thank size to a 75 gallon, it has 6 more inches of depth which would give the apistos and Bolivian pair some more breathing room. Plus it would allow me to put a lot more top level swimmers in. Could I even put a pair of keyholes in with what I already have because they are mid level swimmers? What would be a good variety of fish to put in that size of a tank that aren't fin nippers or won't bother any of the cichlids, I don't care if they're known to eat eggs cause I don't want my Bolivians to have any babies.

Happyfins

I gave you my opinion in post #8. I think you can put a pair of keyholes in. I doubt that they will stick to midlevel. Your tank is big enough. Mind you, I think you will have difficulty buying a pair due to difficult sexing as youngsters so you'll have to buy a group and let them pair off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….