• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Microgeophagus altispinosa vs Ramirezi

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Mikrogeophagus is a genus that is in question as to if both species are closely related enough to be in the same genus. Mikrogeophaus ramirezi is a smaller member (no larger then about 3 in. on average), requiring softer, more acidic water. Mikrogeophagus altispinosa is the larger of the two fish, growing to be nearly 4 inches. This species is a lot easier to keep in captivity other then the fact that it needs more room then M. ramirezi. Even in hard alkaline water, this species can be spawned. It has been found in water with a pH of 7.6 and a hardness of 4 dGH. M. altispinosa should be keep in tanks of 20 gallons for pairs and 30 gallons and larger for group situations. While M ramirezi can be bred in 10 gallon tanks filtered with a box filter full of peat, or R/O water.

farm41

5 Year Member
I like em both, and I have them both, both are neat fish, and in the 175g tank you have, you could keep both real easy.

Villo

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
I like em both, and I have them both, both are neat fish, and in the 175g tank you have, you could keep both real easy.

I'll probably go only with one species and around 8 fish maybe more don't really know, if you had to chose only one and since you've kept both, which one would you chose.

Thanks

farm41

5 Year Member
That's a tough question, but I would use the water hardness for my deciding criteria. If you have very soft water, go with ramerezi, any water besides very soft go with altispinosa.

Villo

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
That's a tough question, but I would use the water hardness for my deciding criteria. If you have very soft water, go with ramerezi, any water besides very soft go with altispinosa.
sorry about it :D
so you enjoy both the same when you look at them? they behave pretty much the same? no further questions promise :lol:

farm41

5 Year Member
Please, ask all the questions you want, that's why we are all here. We all ask questions.

For me, I like the ramerezi best, but would still let the water be the deciding factor.

Villo

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
Please, ask all the questions you want, that's why we are all here. We all ask questions.

For me, I like the ramerezi best, but would still let the water be the deciding factor.

Since a planted aquarium is the goal, German rams will be the choice, thanks for sharing your points of view, I'll post some photos as soon as posible

Villo

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
Oh yes, we need to have pics of the 175g tank with rams 8)

Time has passed and I have it all prepared, 8 Rams 4 males, 4 females on a quarentine 100/Liters 27 US gallons plus 4 Borellli's 1 male and 3 females.

Today I saw a Ram with a white spot, don't really now if he has the white spot disease... I'll have to wait before I carry them to the main tank.

Any suggestions on the main tank for the Apisto's?
27455076.jpg

You can see more photos at http://www.pbase.com/acuario_metatron

I forgot.. thanks Randall for the article you sent me, it was really interesting, finally I won't try the Kribensis, I believe they get to big.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Nice Plant Tank. Nicely setup and well done. I am sure those Rams and Borellii's will do well in such a setup. They will probably want to breed in there as the conditions I am sure are going to be great for that.

Villo

5 Year Member
Thanks fishtboy.
I have a problem, The borrelli's which are in the quarentine tank do not eat anything but frozen food, they are very shy to go up to surface, and I'm afraid they will starve in the main tank. I have many fish over there and I believe they won't get any food, specially if it's frozen food.

Will they behave different when they starve in the main tank?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….