• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mcmasteri Super Red

Noxs

Can Someone Show Me Some Pictures Of Macmasteri Super Red....My Local Fish Shop Is Gonna Bring Some Macmasteri Super Red And Viejita Red Neck....And I Am Having A Hard Time Choosing Between Them....I Can't Understand The Difference Between Them..

yukondog

5 Year Member
I Am Having A Hard Time Choosing Between Them....I Can't Understand The Difference Between Them.
Like Darrel said probably both the same with maybe different color variations, just pick the one you like the best.
A few questions that may help us help you.
Is this your first apisto?
What size tank and are you using sand?
Is the tank cycled and for how long?
Mac's are pretty easy to keep but you will still need to do your part. If you have any questions ask, most here are happy to help, we all started with our first apisto at some time or another. Good luck

Noxs

Like Darrel said probably both the same with maybe different color variations, just pick the one you like the best.
A few questions that may help us help you.
Is this your first apisto?
What size tank and are you using sand?
Is the tank cycled and for how long?
Mac's are pretty easy to keep but you will still need to do your part. If you have any questions ask, most here are happy to help, we all started with our first apisto at some time or another. Good luck
Yes This My First Apisto....And I Am Using A 25 gallon tank And I Am Using Sand....tank's been cycled for 4 years....I Use To Keep Wild Bettas And Bred Them Quite Few Times...Bt Now I'm Starting To Get Interested In Apistogramma And Other South American Dwarf Cichlid Species....I Am Using One Of My Old Betta Tanks Which Currently Have Some Shrimps In It To Keep It Cycled....

MacZ

Sounds good, though betta tanks usually have different structure than Apistogramma tanks. I guess then the water parameters are tending towards very soft and acidic, right?
Mind showing a picture of the tank?

Noxs

Sounds good, though betta tanks usually have different structure than Apistogramma tanks. I guess then the water parameters are tending towards very soft and acidic, right?
Mind showing a picture of the
Yes The Water Parameters Are Very Soft And Acidic....I Mix Ro Water And My Well Water To Make It Soft....And My Current Tank Looks Very Empty I Need Some Plants And More Structure In It....Bt I'm Working Towards It

Attachments

• IMG_20210624_195045.jpg
    IMG_20210624_195045.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 211

Noxs

This is great!

Yeah, because in this state I would rather not put Apistos in, yet.
I know....it was my betta Smaragdina fry grow out tank.....and with fry i don't like to use substrate and plants....i used Amazon frogbit only....now reset the entire tank....and slowly gathering supplies for it.i will try to make it more lush and dense for them..

Bowluvr

I know....it was my betta Smaragdina fry grow out tank.....and with fry i don't like to use substrate and plants....i used Amazon frogbit only....now reset the entire tank....and slowly gathering supplies for it.i will try to make it more lush and dense for them..
Even just adding more caves and hardscape will help. They need hiding spots, caves, and structure that creates "rooms" within the tank, and disrupts line-of-sight, so that each fish can have it's territory within the tank. I usually try to create 3 "rooms" for a pair, with a couple of caves each on each end, and one or two in the center "room." I also try to have some of the decor go all the way to the surface. In between breeding episodes, the pair may not get along all the time. If they can retreat to opposite corners, or if the one on the losing end of a dispute has really good places to just get out of sight ("up" works really well, since "up" is less guarded by whomever is the dominant fish). Caves can be as simple as a small clay flowerpot with an Apisto-sized hole in the rim to make a door when it is placed open side down on the substrate. Those can be had cheap at garden stores.

yukondog

5 Year Member
("up" works really well, since "up" is less guarded by whomever is the dominant fish).

While I aggrege with everything Bowluvr said, if I see a apisto/fish in the upper regains that's not normal for the fish than something's wrong and it get put into another tank, in my experience when this happens for me at least, it's a dead fish after a short time mostly from stress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….