• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

male(s) or female (s)?

depthc

5 Year Member
I would have to say that both cacatuoides look like males. Reason being that in the first image the dorsal fin membranes are elongated but not so pronounces yet. But it does seem to be a bit yellow so maybe im wrong and it will turn out to be a female. The second image looks most definately like a male. Its pelvic and anal fins are longer which is common for males.

So thats my opinion. In time sexing will become alot easier as certain traits will stick out clearly and you would possibly see them exhibit breeding behavior which would make it real obvious to sex the fish.

andrew

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
I have to agree with depthc. Both males. It took me a coulpe of trys to get 1m/2f from my local fish store. The more you study them, the easier it is to identify them (I'm still a begginer myself!).

fishgeek

i wasnt even sure the first was a cac
i want mikes taxonomy learnings

mike which book did you say had the id flow chartr type setup?
ie group family etc
it wasn't only available in german was it?

andrew

B

Bert

???

Hi,

I am new to the field of Apisto's (and this forum), so I am very pleased with every comment I get. The pic fish2 shows a male I think. The fish1 is my big question mark!
Andrew, you do puzzle me now. I hope Mike can give me the answer. And I would also like to get that book that you are mentioning, Andrew.

Thanks a gain for your help and suggestions,

Bert

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bert,

It looks like you have 2 young male A. cacatuoides, orange finned domestic strain, to me too.

Andrew,

The book that I'm talking about doesn't have a flow chart. The book is the flow chart! Each chapter in the book describes a different group or complex & includes all of the fish in that group or complex. Each chapter contains a description of (and differences between) all the species belonging to that group/complex, along with information on distribution, collecting sites, ecology, breeding, etc. The book is "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas Band 2 - Apistogramma & Co." by Ingo Koslowski. It is published only in German & has some problems, mentioned in earlier posts, but can't be beat for identifying apistos.

B

Bert

Thanks!

Hi guys,

thanks for your reply's. I will see whether I can get the two remaining fish too. And see what those turn out to be. Any suggestions what I should look for?

Bert

aspen

5 Year Member
to pick a female, watch for the black front edges on the ventral fins. (the lower front paired fins) and also watch for the ones that show their yellow base colour with nice dark markings. this is the females breeding dress.

rick

B

Bert

I found new pics

Hi,

today I found at http://www.apisto.bravepages.com/ (nice site)
two new pics to resemble my fish. And now I don't know anymore!

I took the liberty to show them to you via:
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/schuitemaker/images/A.cacatuoides%20orange%20flash%20female.jpg >> the female!
and
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/schuitemaker/images/A.cacatuoides%20orange%20flash_male.jpg >> male
Both pics come from the site mentioned above.

Any new comments?

Bert

PS. the fish feel at home. Colours are getting stronger and they are growing (or do I just wish they do?)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….