• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male l. curviceps bullying female

curviceps

5 Year Member
Hi all

I have a pair of l. curviceps. Everything seemed fine with the pair attempting to spawn twice, and till recently have been peaceful and enjoying each other's company.

However, just after the 2nd spawn attempt, ie after the pair turned dark, started chasing other fish away from their territory and taking turns guarding the "site", the male is continuously harassing the female. The female immediately swims away, even to the point of hiding at one of the top corners of the tank. This happens each time the male finds the female.

What is the reason for this behaviour? Is it normal?

Thanks!

curviceps

5 Year Member
Things are back to normal now. Peace is kept and they are following each other around... wonder what will happen next time...

Thanks for your response!

Zapisto

5 Year Member
problem between male and female curviceps show up most of the time during pre-breeding period , breeding period or post breeding period.

do you know why the breeding tentative failed ?
do you know if they at least laid eggs ?

curviceps

5 Year Member
Hi Zapisto

I have had the curviceps for slightly more than a month. During this time, there has been two breeding attempts.

During the first time, eggs were actually laid. Both fish took turns to guard them. However, after a couple of days, the male ate them.

During the second time, I'm not sure if eggs were laid - I didn't notice any. However, I noticed the female in an almost horizontal position against the face of the rock.

As to why the spawning failed, I'm not sure. Maybe they are still inexperienced? Also, they are in a community tank, so I wonder if they are getting too much disruption?

Thanks again!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….