• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male Cacatuoides Trio in Community

TKoebel42

I have a 55g planted community tank, not densely planted, but getting more dense. Current stock in the tank includes 12 Cardinal Tetras, 9 Rosy Tetras, 6 Panda Cories, and various guppies (10-12). I'd like to add some Apistogramma Cacatuoides as a centrepiece, not interested in breeding in this tank. I'm interested in breeding, but I will likely set up a separate tank, or series of tanks for that.

Would a group of up to 3 males work in this setup? As an alternative, I'm considering German Blue Rams, also up to 3 males.

TKoebel42

It might. It all depends on the lay-out of the tank. I, however, would not do it. Instead, I would add 3 males of different species with different body and fin shapes ... and in a properly laid-out tank of course. They would display to each other, but not be as aggressive as 3 of the same species.
Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the input. That might actually work out better because I really am torn between the Cacatuoides and GBRs. Would you stick to all Apistos, or mix in Rams? For example, a Cacatuoides, a GBR, and perhaps a Panduro or Macmasteri? Or maybe a Borellii?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….