• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male A. cacatuoides changing color

davex776

5 Year Member
Hi,

I've had a pair of A. cacatuoides for about 2 months now and I'm really pleased that I got them. However, I've noticed over the past 2 days that the male has turned a really dark color. The gray in it's fins has gone pitch black, and the silver/light gray on it's body has gone dark gray. I know that the female goes yellow when in mating mode, but the male?

He is also spending much more time in his cave at the back of the tank than normal - but I don't think that there are any eggs there as neither he nor the female chase away other fish from that area, which they did when they previously spawned.

Finally, I've noticed that there has been a thin thread-like piece of fecal material, about 1-1/2 inch long hanging for the past day or so. He eat last night, I'm wondering if he is constipated and I should not feed him for a couple of days? (I feed the fish once a day, alternating between brine shrimp, and 2 types of pellet). One other thing - and I'm not sure if I should be doing this - but when I change the water I usually find some small snails and I crush 1 or 2 with my fingers and both male and female really love it. But thinking about it more carefully now, could the snail shell be a problem?

Sorry for the long post, but I would really like to know your opinions or suggestions.

Cheers,
Dave

davex776

5 Year Member
The fish has gotten worse - no change in color (still dark) but he is now having problems swimming upright and is belly is slightly bloated. Swim bladder issue?

Really please, give whatever suggestions you can think of. Although I think it is probably too late now...:mad:

Dave

jase101

5 Year Member
hi there - just saw your post.

i'm not going to be of much help, as i don't medicate my fish and don't know what to recommend - but please quarantine him - he's got worms or a parasite, needs to be kept in a completely stress free environ - darkened tank, no tankmates.

if he's also having trouble keeping upright, it is in my opinion time to euthanase. darkening as you describe is never a good sign. sorry...

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
This might be better posted in the Health section as your fish seems to have something seriously wrong. The stringy faeces are an possible indicator of an internal parasite or other problem.

I'd repost in the disease section with a more obvious title such as disease in my apisto and hopefully you'll get some more detailed ideas; disease diagnosis from afar is not a strength of mine!!! :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….