• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

making your own apistogramma food?

blucenere

Hi everybody,
i wanted to ask you if you make your own fish food and if you feel like sharing your recipe (excluding live food)

blucenere

I for example was thinking of:

raw shrimps
slightly boiled zucchini
slightly boiled cucumber
slightly boiled peas
slightly boiled carrots
slightly boiled broccoli
boiled egg
garlic pressed in peanuts oil
agar agar

i am not sure if i should use a tomato, an orange or a beef heart

i will use the water from boiling to mix the agar agar and I will put all together with a mixer

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I was told by a well respected discus breeder, who was also a veterinarian, that mammalian fat doesn't 'liquefy' and become digestible by fish until they are about 30°C / 84ºF. He believed that many bloating/intestinal problems seen in fish fed beef he art and kept at temperatures below 30/84 was due to this. He stopped using beef hearts and went to turkey hearts in his food. He put his daughter through college on the discus he bred and sold, so he must have been doing something right!

blucenere

very good to know

even if...i think they usually suggest the heart because is the thing in our body with the least or null fat (it is a muscle that works no stop)
but i prefer to stay on the safe side and i did not add it. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….